QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, February 26, 2016

Voulez-vous? Oui: Je veux. (Mais tu peux me tutoyer.)

It is now 2010... at least as far as my record cull goes. 2010 appears to be the year I uploaded all my Abba. One of the greatest pop bands of all time.

I owned one Abba album, probably their disco-iest. Not even sure how. We had Voulez-vous when I was little because I remember sitting in a big chair with oversized headphones on, listening to it, and being scared by this song (cause I was afraid of fire):



After my parents divorced and I was a pre-teen living with my dad in Winnipeg, I still had this album in my possession, so my mum (back in Edmonton) must have let me take it. My best Winnipeg friend had some others, so between the two of us we cobbled together a strong Abba fan-i-tude.


I thought cat-Haley only liked songs like "Killer Queen" but she's sitting on me and singing along and purring to Chiquitita. Thinks it's about eating chickens?


When we moved to Quebec and I started grade 7 I was sitting next to a girl in Ecology class and we discovered we were Abba fans. That's all it takes to spark a 30 year old friendship.

The appropriate response towards underaged groupies.


There are sooo many great Abba songs. But here it is in all it's disco glory: Abba's Voulez-vous album.



Perfect example of how behind the goofy costumes and disco beats, there are some very real lyrics. Nothing worse for a heartbreak than nighttime.


 And the eternal question continues to haunt us all... why did they put those cheap, ugly, cardboard looking belts over those cute dresses?


Love Frida's voice here. By the time this posts, I hope we can dedicate this to Trump.
 

My music collection is down to 16 759 from 18 433.
2500 items in the trash can.

1 comment:

widdershins said...

Bravo, you! ... Ahh, ABBA. :)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}