QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Turning plain romance into a fun one + kitty photos

Okay, it's the weekend, so now begins: Blogging about personal-whatever-stuff.

THIS ONE'S ABOUT WRITING (kitties at the end)


Though I've been researching and preparing to write a new book, for about 5 years now, I've decided to pick up an old project and give it one more rewrite first. When I started my political science BA in 2003 I decided to write a sweet romance, only because it was a genre Harlequin was actively looking for, and it was 55 000 words which was nice and short. I worked on it summers, and it was done a few years ago.

Then I decided, well, maybe I should try selling it as a single title first. But it was too short, so I added a subplot. (Figured, if I don't get an agent, I'll just pitch the original MS to Harlequin.) But it needed to emerge naturally from the story, so I took a character who was only ever heard of offscreen but who was instrumental to the plot, and made him real. He was based on Leonard Cohen (it all takes place in Montreal) and I gave him a romance with the hero's mother.

But he and the mother had no chemistry. So I made Leonard a woman. The chemistry was great! So now I had a sweet romance with a lesbian romance subplot. I polished it to best effect, mostly with my brother's help, and started to shop it about.

It wasn't that sweet, but still...
My energy for shopping it sort of wore out, and I haven't been very disciplined about it since the first round and a half. Possible conclusions? (A) I'm not disciplined. (B) I don't believe in my story. Considering I don't even READ sweet romances and purposely butchered my own book... what do you think? lol.

After leaving my job last November I didn't do anything re my writing, because I had to look at my CV, I was seeing a job coach, etc. Now I'm working on my French to improve my job chances, as I also apply for English jobs. But since the harder work (making a new CV, a good one, is work yo) I feel it's okay to get back to my writing. And so many of the Betties are writers, that reading about everyone else writing was making me nuts anyway. (I've written stories since I was 9, so when I go without writing for too long, I actually get depressed.)

When it came time to look at my writing, I suddenly thought of my old Faux Fiancés story, and I thought... I think I have to rewrite it. I think I have to make it into a romantic comedy, because it isn't true to moi. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake to revisit it, or if I should just let it go. My brother--who listens to the Popcorn Dialogues (movie analyses done by two romantic comedy authors)--said I should go for it. And when I checked the mail later that week, the cover of my new French Châtelaine magazine had the actor who "plays" the hero of my novel:


Well. If the universe is going to be THAT obvious. Who am I to say no.

Fellow Betty blogger, Bonafide, wants to do a Nanowrimo and write up backstory for her novel; but since she's both a teacher and a PhD student November's a terrible month, so I told her if she ever wants to nano another month let me know. She proposed June. So unless she has to cancel (she also has one of those children-types and Real Responsibilities, so I am at her disposal) I am planning to rewrite FF in June. Or at least the first 50 000 words.

 I'm reading Writing the Romantic Comedy by Billy Mernit, in prep. It's awesome, perfect. I can see the things I've got right (plot beats, sex), where I need to fine-tooth-comb it before June (theme), and ideas on how to intro the humor. Like THE TOPPER I LOVE THE TOPPER!!!!!* Must consciously see if I do toppers. If not, must learn how. But I know I do comedic set pieces, just not consciously. There's already one scene in my book that I was dying to turn into a comedy scene, but held myself back; and another that half turned into one, and then I had to make bad things happen so that it became all serious and sad instead.



Anyone want to write a novel in June? (Or an oracle deck?)

And now: Cat on an ankle.

And now: Cat being obnoxious on lap while I write.
She squirmy-wormies around, touching the touchpad and messing up the writing.
"Editor kitteh improves your writing!"
No she doesn't. Stop it!! Show the people how annoying you are:
this is me holding back her paws from the touchpad
worm
squirm

I don't blog about Haley as much because if Minion's being distracted by sitting on me, then H takes advantage and uses the best sleep spots. She's on the Coussin de pouvoir.
  

Have a nice day y'all.

__________
* Topper:

7 comments:

Judie said...

I think some stories just take years to come to fruition. Something in the brewing process that pulls it all together.

Good luck on the June Nanowrimo. I'll be on a sail boat for two weeks in June or I'd be tempted.

July would be an awesome month since it has all those lovely weekends and I heard rummors the Nano is doing some sort of Summer Camp? Could be an urban legend ;)

Love the Ki-tah. Haley is very beautful...and oh so helpful as only a cat can be.

widdershins said...

A writing binge! Go for it!

London Mabel said...

@Judie - A sailboat!! [shakes fist] Lucky you. I look forward to hearing about it. :-) But really, watcha gonna do on the sailboat all day? Look at water?? You'll just wish you were writing.
;-)

Nano is setting something up so that people can do nano in any month they choose (I think), and have all the nano tools at their disposal. But I don't think it will be ready on time for us.

@widder - Writing binges are fun, and you don't feel all bloated and regretful after.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Love your cat pics.

You & Bonafide writing in June sounds magical. Wish I could join ya but blogging & serial noveling is kicking my bootay.

Can't wait to read your romantic comedy!

Anonymous said...

This will be my third attempt at commenting. And now I have forgotten what I said the first two times. Crap.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Yay for Nano!
Cute kitteh, my cat loves the laptop, as soon as you start using it he wants to come sit on your lap.

London Mabel said...

They're instinctively drawn towards productivity.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}