QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cataloging and Culling - Tales of a Book Hoarder

Pretty soon I'll have to decide which books to bring to Nanaimo with me.

...It's going to be like Sophie's Choice around here.

In the meantime I'm cataloging my books on goodreads, so at least I won't buy any duplicates while away. (I shouldn't buy ANY books but we all know...)

While cataloging I'm taking advantage to cull. Not in a harsh way--if I was culling for an actual move things would be different. But if we stay here, then the books can stay... there's room.

I'm putting things into goodreads, reading the reviews, seeing what I think. If it's a book I know I bought new and never tried, then I'll keep it. But if I couldn't get into it, or it was free / second hand, then I can be meaner.

For example I only thought Pamela was okay, so why am I holding onto Joseph Andrews? I read two Thackerays and enjoyed them, but do I want to read a third? If I would rather re-read all 1474 pages of Seth's A Suitable Boy (loved!) than take another stab at An Equal Music... then EQ should go. On the other hand, the praise for Middlemarch is so high, and I've now forgotten the mini series, I felt I should hold onto it.

I pulled 15 books out of about 65. Only about 10 of these 50 remaining books I've read and are keeping just for the moment. Most are unread. 37 were newly bought, though many from the bargain section and all with my 30 % discount, and sometimes more than that.

I'm working through the literary fiction books. The Mystery section has more second hand books... the SFF has more new books because you don't get lot of the really great SFF at book sales (often filled with the books of someone's parent who just died... or so I figure when I see an entire Lady Di collection on the bio table). The romance is mish mash. The plays and poetry almost all second hand.

Okay look it's 6 am go to bed.

(I'll be by soon to catch up on bloggy reads, but haven't really set up my computer yet. That's where my System resides for blog visiting. It's like a little neighborhood locked in my Chrome browser. )

CAT PHOTO...

Say goodnight to the peeples Minion! (Complete unconcern that Maugham's short stories didn't make the cut.)
Minion and rejected Maugham

10 comments:

Robena Grant said...

Wow! LM. And I thought I was a book lover and avid reader. Sheesh. You win the prize.
Love the photo. Want to reach and tickle that belly. : )

widdershins said...

G'night Minion.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

"Okay look it's 6 am go to bed." lol How many times have I said this to myself? Just this morning, in fact.
Good luck with the books. Always my weakness.

London Mabel said...

@Robena - I worked at a bookstore for 15 years. ...The perk was also the drawback.

@widders - Meows!

@JJJ - Thank-you friend. May we both emerge well read but unscathed.

BarbN said...

Well, Joseph Andrews is way better than Pamela, but I haven't read either of them in 25 years and I probably wouldn't read them now, so take that with a grain of salt. Middlemarch-- I LOVED it when I was 20, but now I think I would get extremely bogged down. It's not crucial, imo. I saw PD James on your reading list on the right-- I've read three of hers now and I think she might be my favorite mystery writer. Although it's a close call with the first 4-5 Richard Jury novels. love. Thanks for this, you've read way more stuff than me so it gives me great ideas.

BarbN said...

my comment got eaten! bah. It probably isn't worth re-typing. mainly, thanks for typing these posts out, it gives me great ideas for books to read.

BarbN said...

my comment got eaten! bah. It probably isn't worth re-typing. mainly, thanks for typing these posts out, it gives me great ideas for books to read.

Judie said...

Good luck with the process. I did it a couple of years ago. I gave 10totes to charity and I still have a ton.

Loves the books.

London Mabel said...

Some things, like Pamela, were amusing when I had to read them for English Lit classes. But what cuts it when you're being "forced" to read books, and what cuts it when you're Free! isn't really the same. lol.

Now that I've cataloged the mysteries I can say that I do have a couple Richard Jurys. (I wouldn't have noticed except I've taken to writing on the bottom of the book which number it is in the series, and remember writing the name Jury!)

London Mabel said...

Blogger has somehow decided you MIGHT be spam, so it's been saving some of your comments for my moderating. I'm just getting to them.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}