QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, April 30, 2012

Opération Quest: Picturing My Future

The vision board is finally done.

Last March I decided to do a collage about moi, and dug up Martha Beck's article on creating a vision board. I picked out tons of pictures--too many, cause that's overkeenerperfectionista moi--but stashed them into a file folder and didn't do the board itself.

The point of the board is to pick out things that really speak to you / make you excited / happy, even if you don't know why. Things from the heart, not the traditional Beach and Limosine "law of attraction" type of collage.

Glue 'em up, then put it away. When you next pull it up you may find some things have come true. You make a new board, or pull off the pics that came true, and put up new pictures, etc.

Since I chose my pictures over a year ago, I went through them again and just pulled out the words and images that still spoke to me. And the ones that seemed like they'd already come true, I put aside.

My board is a poster board, folded in half to fit in my suitcase. On the front I put the Done things...

  • Pics from article on Prince related fashion = went to two Prince concerts, first ever
  • lady going on a trip = my trip to Nanaimo
  • Tea and fuzzy socks = all I did in Nanaimo, recovering my spirit (after all tea is the great cure all on Brit tv, right? I drank waaay more than usual )
  • Bird scissors flying away / "escape winter" words = my decision to move to Nanaimo for awhile
  • book case = my 40 Nanaimo books!
  • Nadine Gordimer = don't know why I picked it, but I guess it stuck in my brain cause on Nanaimo I was in a second hand book store and suddenly thought I'd like a Nadine Gordimer book. One of the books to read this year, apart from the 40.
  • black cat = that's a funny one, I mean I already have cats. All I can say is...

...the cat reminds me of this:


This is Swiss Girl's porch kitty, who has his own tupperware home in the back yard. He likes to sit in the window and stare like a freak. Even after he's eaten softies.


Below is a different occasion. It's like being in a horror movie.


Anyway, here are the new visions... I was placing them in too meaningful a left brain manner, and Haley kept jumping up and scattering them. She got all hand monstery and wouldn't stop attacking me and the collage.


This was the prelude, she got much meaner.

So I scooped up the pics, shuffled them, and just laid them out in terms of what fit. And added the words at random too.


I tried not to pick out literal goals. Like, I'm not planning to take up yoga. I just chose pics that soothed me, like the green fiddleheads and herbs, or made me happy like the Muppets and the green tiffin.


I think the lamb in the party hat might be me.


Oh you can't see the croquet ladies very well! I'm terrible at all sports, but my brother and I have had a romanticized view of croquet since reading Harpo Marx's autobiography. The Algonquiners took it very seriously.



You can read the Martha Beck article here.

My summary here.

Added tips here.





5 comments:

Robena Grant said...

This is wonderful. (I love monster cat.) I make a collage for each of my stories. Then when the story is done, I tape it to the inside of the hall closet walls where I keep coats and a small filing cabinet. It's fun to open that door.
I've never made one for just me though. Will have to give it a try. : )

widdershins said...

The kittehs are manifestations of your right brain.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

That cat is kind of scary looking in the window like that.
I like your visions, past and present/future.
Love the croquest ladies.

Judie said...

I love vision boards - the joy of wandering through dollar stores or looking through magazines and just letting the feelings come. Your board looks awesome.

That cat is totally freaky horror movie cat if ever I saw one...never, ever run out of the softies -- it might not end well. ;)

London Mabel said...

@Robena Great idea, taping them to the door! I make sort of scrapbooks for my stories, but in the computer. No magic door.

@widders My right brain is staring relentlessly at me saying: Pay attention to me! Notice me!!

@JJJ Every time I look at that cat photo I laugh. Totally scary.

@Judie Next time I update it I'll look for some different magazines than the ones I just have on hand. If that cat doesn't come for me first.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}