QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, May 8, 2016

1977: Meatloaf gives 'er

My mom had the Bat Out of Hell album when we wuz little. We loved it. Later I had it on tape, so I remember driving around in my put-put in the 90s, just loving and singing along to every track.

My political philosophy professor hugely admired authors who took a "give 'er" approach to their research and books. When I read Das Kapital I saw what he meant. I mean, Marx just keeps swinging that bat, the more melodramatic the better. Just throw everything you got at the reader.

That's Jim Steinman the writer...

Oh I know you belong inside my aching heart
And can't you see my faded Levis bursting apart
And don't you hear me crying:
"Oh Babe, don't go"
And don't you hear me screaming:
"How was I to know?"




...and Meatloaf the singer. Here he sings the song live, for the first time in decades, and tells the audience: I'll probably mess up, and you can either say "Screw you" or "God he gave it a good try." Love the attitude.


1 comment:

widdershins said...

The first time I 'met' him was The Rocky Horror Picture Show ... What a guy! :)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}