QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, May 2, 2016

Love me an 80s Robbie Robertson

“I was proud to rip open my chest and bare my soul,” Robertson said at the time. “I’m not embarrassed to talk about these things anymore. Do you know what a skin walker is? It’s a thing in Indian mythology. There are certain people born with this gift, and they’re able to actually get inside you and mess with your feelings and with your mind. And if a skin walker chooses to get a hold of you, there’s not much you can do. I want a song to get inside me, to feel it did the old skin walker on me. I was kind of discovering that on this album, and now I’m pursuing it.” (Robbie Robertson)

Ooh here's one of those ones I'd forgotten about and love! My brother had this record and it was the shit. Produced by Daniel Lanois.



Same album that brought us the indescribably beautiful "Broken Arrow."
I want to come when you call
I'll get to you if I have to crawl
They can't hold me with these iron walls



I even love the Rod Stewart version. Yes, yes the song is un-cheesable. Love the crescendo at 2:22. 


And of course "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" is sexy as all get out.


He put out this great song in 2011. Love it when an oldie manages to pull a rabbit out of their hat, one last time.


The 1994 compilation soundtrack also has some great songs:

"Jack Wilson claimed to have left the presence of God convinced that if every Indian in the West danced the new dance to "hasten the event", all evil in the world would be swept away, leaving a renewed Earth filled with food, love, and faith." (wiki) And then Wounded Knee happened. Meh.




No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}