QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, December 15, 2013

From Amigurumi to Zeppo

There are lots of great charities out there, but just one non-profit that I *shill* for, and that's wikipedia. And they only ask for $3, how can I say no? I use wikipedia every single day, I get way more than my money's worth. I'm a curious person and wiki half the movies I watch, songs I listen to, etc. Besides the school and story research I've done over time. They also seem like a good organization--they're trying to keep it ad free, and have done things like simplifying the editing/contributing process in part to attract more women to contribute. 

I've created an alphabet of things I've looked up on wiki since 2010, according to my browser history:

Amigurumi
Boar's tusk helmet
Crémaillère
Dendra panoply
Extreme croquet
Freedonia
Grumpy Cat
Hamburger Dinner Theater
Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm
Jack Harkness
Korath the Pursuer
Last Night a DJ Saved My Life
Monitor lizard
New Black Panther Party
Oil cloth
Puka shell
Quest for the Well of Souls
Rza
Shazam
Tiggy Legge-Bourke
UC Davis pepper-spray incident
Velcro
Wood putty
X-Men
Yamada Nagamasa
Zeppo Marx

5 comments:

widdershins said...

I use wiki all the time too ... and support them ... it's only fair, I reckon.

Robena Grant said...

New comment, because the last one was riddled with errors. Hah. I love your list, and as I read through it I found myself making up a story. You should do that. ; )

Skye said...

You're right. I use Wikipedia all the time. As soon as I get to my wallet (I'm in bed right now), I will donate. It's such a small amount for such a hugely useful service.

And I would love to find out why you researched some of those things. Hell, I don't even KNOW what some are: I'm going to have to search on them just to find out what they are!

Anonymous said...

Funny that you posted this as I'd just given them a donation for the first time. I realized that I used them nearly every day but I just couldn't stretch to $365 @ $1 per day. I haven't gone and looked up what I searched on wiki but, like others, was intrigued by yours and, like others, didn't recognize them all so I had to - what else, wiki them, etc.

London Mabel said...

I don't even remember them all! But Hamburger Dinner Theatre sounds awesome just on its own.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}