QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, December 2, 2013

That cool place with the giant moth

Froggy Widdershins mentioned a couple months ago that one of her fave book titles is Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack Chalker. My husband loved the series--I haven't read it, but it's unforgettable once you've seen the awesome 70s covers!



So I think as we enter 2013 Retrospective time, I'll post up some of my favorite titles and covers from things I watched or read or listened to this year.

I suck at titles, but I love them when they're well done. And I can't stand the generic ones. Loretta Chase has these cute Miss Wonderful, Lord Perfect, Mr Impossible books and I can't remember which ones I've read and which I haven't. And when I look back at the romances I read this year, I'm not always sure what they were about.

Mind you, I don't blame the authors--I'm pretty sure these titles are often foisted on people. Or they're cute, fun-sounding titles... they just don't do what I, personally, like a title to do. Which is remind me what the book was about!

2 comments:

Skye said...

I don't think I ever read any of the Well of Souls books. They sound familiar simply because I've browsed the SF/Fantasy shelves of libraries and bookstores since I was 12. But those are entertaining covers!

My favorite covers tend to be the more recent Patricia McKillip covers: they are as lyrical as her stories.

And I tend to have problems with titles too. My current WIP is titled "Urban Fantasy". :)

widdershins said...

Hmmm ... now that NaNo's gone and done, I think I'll search out these books and have a re-read.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}