QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Flint Girls

Bingewatched this show in two days. Mohawk Girls takes place on the Kahnawake reserve, a bridge outside of Montreal--and the home town of its creator, Tracey Deer.

Deer did a great documentary call Club Native, that I saw years ago. In Kahnawake you have to be 50% native in order to live there, to have status. And if you're above 50% but marry outside, then you have to leave, and you lose your status. It's very controversial, and the reserve is right now in the process of enforcing it (starting evictions.)


Mohawk Girls is a fun, sex-filled 30 min show--compared a lot with Sex in the City. But it's really sex in the town, cause it is very similar to small-town life. ...Okay I didn't grow up in a small town, but the women remind me of those I've met who did. Tough. Very tough.

I know a lot about aboriginal peoples, and the Kanien’kehá:ka (People of the Flint), and even Kahnawake--but I know about history, and laws, and big issues. I've always wanted to know what it's like to live there. So I loved this show. Can't wait for season 2.

You can watch all the episodes on APTN, but it's also on youtube.

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}