QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Looking at a list of one hit wonders from the 80s...

Hey! Eddy Grant was not a one-hit-wonder!



I legitimately love Romancing the Stone. Three reasons:

1. The melody/arrangement is unusual for a love song. Fast, serious sounding, guitar-ee. And it's got some Mysterious Poetic lyrics.

Oh and in the heat of rapture when I feel the cold winds blow
Through the broken glass I'll see at last the sweet desire in you
I will climb up on my pulpit and I'll preach a sermon you
On the mountain roads in Harlem feel my jeweller's hold.


2. I was 11 when the movie came out--about the age I started really getting into music, finding my own taste. My mother had the album, so I have a very strong "sense" memory attached to the music. Of sitting in my mother's living room, in front of her album collection, poking through and discovering all kinds of goodies. Prince's 1999, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Yellowman etc.

3. Still one of my favorite movies. Looking back at it, and looking at the age I was, I'm pretty sure this movie made me want to be a writer. I was already writing things, enjoyed English class, but I think I fell for the image of Kathleen Turner sitting at her typewriter, writing something funny, and celebrating with her cat.

 Side Note: I only just now noticed that the stone is an analogy for the heart. Um yeah. What can I say, I was 11.

___
More Eddy. Dude wrote a lot of fun love songs.

What on earth is a flying excreta? That's what I've always wondered.









No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}