QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, August 14, 2015

Me and Ayn Rand - part 3

Reading all this Ayn Rand drama helped me articulate the idea that the only way to really be logical is to pursue emotional intelligence. We have emotions, and we're going to have them no matter what we tell ourselves. If we ignore them, then we'll make all kinds of decisions that we think are based on logic, but aren't really. The emotions will try to break out of us no matter what we do; and in the process, break us.

Ayn Rand was a little dictator, and her pursuit of pure reason made herself and everyone around her unhappy.

Aside from my creativity, I can be pretty left brained. I like things to fit, I like answers, I like congruity, I like figuring shit out. Reading Ayn Rand's biographies, back in the day, reminded me that it's not possible to operate on pure logic. And for all our divided-braininess, our reason and emotions aren't totally divorced from each other. After all our most basic emotions are part of the ancient lizard part of our brain, and it evolved for the only purpose of survival. Eg. We follow the herd because the herd if usually right. We bully people different from ourselves, because in a close-to-the-bone existence difference can threaten the survival of the group. We feel mad, passionate feelings of love because it encourages procreation.

It's good that we can temper these reactions through a more modern reason-based lens; cause that reason is also a good survival mechanism. Protecting people who have original ideas and creative solutions helps you compete for resources; but you can't lessen bullying unless you acknowledge it exists, and understand why.

...I think I still have one more point to make. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}