QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Great Disappointments

Yesterday I discovered my old copy of Richard II. I thought I'd never read it, but upon opening the book and seeing scribbled notes, I realize I must have read it for my Shakespeare course at McGill! It was the most boring class ever, taught by a man with occasional flashes of wit, but far past his years of enthusiasm. Funny, I do remember reading A Winter's Tale in his class, but that's it. Year long course and I don't remember what we studied. Yet here are my notes.

Another nice side effect of my new job--my nails have grown back!

- 2 visions of monarchy in R2, mutually exclusive in this play...
R is a victim but gets release by taking command of own destruction

Bolingbroke = hero of the play
Northumberland = platwright and director
BUT enter stage left, Ricky!
a self dramatist who steals the show
- better at this game
-changes directions

Hmm, these are interesting notes. 

This class was one of the great disappointments of my English BA. The other was the Greek mythology course--a filled auditorium at the beginning, reduced to 10 people by the end. Most boring prof ever. Now he was still enthusiastic--but mostly about showing us his slides from all his trips to Greece, and the various places mentioned in the myths.

Slide after slide of this. Except more brown grass, and smaller bits of ruins.



No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}