QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Storms, Erotica Teachers and Obama (or Christianity: You're Doing it Wrong)


I wrote this on Friday. It's gray outside.

The last death toll in the US south was 280 people, which I mentioned on my facebook last night. This morning I found this response from my North Carolinian friend: Some idiot showed up in my Twitter feed yesterday who said (it took a few tweets...), "Well, maybe when people in the Southeast don't have anyone to pull them out from under trees and buildings, they'll finally un...derstand the importance of taxes." Hmm... I was mad. Probably an understatement. "s just... Well, the *most* anti-tax state happens to be New Hampshire (New England state), which has no income tax. And we DO have taxes. It's just... the South is POOR.


Then I went to my email to read the responses left on blogs where I've already posted comments, and there's a bunch of ongoing activity on a story about a couple of women who are harassing an English school teacher because she writes erotic romance novels. They think this is akin to pedophilia.


And then there's my lingering illness over the Obama thing, and the way some pundits don't even realize just how deeply significant it was. Some people seem to think it was just a ridiculous, maybe disgusting, distraction and they're glad it's been disproven and now they can get back to talking about important matters.


All this in a supposedly Christian nation. I don't say that to pick on Americans--there have been other weeks when it's all Canadian stories that depress me. But it's just to make this point...


A few days ago I said we need to bring our game up when it comes to engaging with the fashion industry. Today I'm saying, people who call themselves Christians (not all Americans obviously) need to bring up their game when it comes to wearing that label.


Because blaming poor people when their homes have been destroyed and they've lost loved ones through no fault of their own, and because they're poor, and because they live in a country where there's a great deal of income inequality; and persecuting good teachers, one of the worst paid and most important professions in North America, and particularly in the union-weak US; and treating the President of the United States like he's nothing but a n****r... these aren't the sorts of actions that people should associate with Christians. And unfortunately, they are. 


There is absolutely no doctrine that means you are a good Christian, not even the belief in Christ. There is one thing and one thing only that should mark you as one, and that's love. You should be a loving person. You should strive to love, to give it, to show it. Not to be perfect, but to try. That's it that's all. 

It's much much much simpler than any church mission statement, than any set of doctrines or rules, it's easy to remember, it's beautiful in it's simplicity, and it's good for all periods in history, all countries, all cultures. And yet, while it's simpler than anything any church will try to sign you up for, it's harder to live. Rules can be followed. I once belonged to a rules-based church, it made life very easy: You kept the sabbath, you didn't eat pork, you kept the holy days, and knew who you were and you could be self-righteous about it.

But LOVING people, really trying to be patient, and kind, and open-minded, and see things from another's point of view, and give, and to love even those who hate you, while still protecting and loving yourself... that's HARD. That's what Christians are being asked to do. That's what all humans are being asked to do, whether they believe in god or not. But if you're going to slap the name of Christ on your forehead and parade it around for everyone to see, then that is what I, as a fellow Christian, am going to hold you to.


I've put up songs before by Steve Bell, because this is the sort of Christian he is. The walking, talking, loving kind. For his latest album there's "endorsements" from fans on his site and this one made me laugh:





Here's a song, from an older album, that's about this topic of upping the game. It's Christ praying in the garden of Gethsemane, talking to god about his followers and how they just don't get it. They think it's about overthrowing Rome, and a new kingdom, and honor, and a top spot next to the throne; they're about to discover it's about sacrifice, and humility, and "the kind of love that changes everything."


If Christianity doesn't make your life uncomfortable, you're not doing it right.





May they understand the love You have for me
As the kind of love that changes everything
They argue who will sit next to the throne
And I cringe to here them say Thy Kingdom come
They think they know what they're getting into
We both know that they haven't got a clue
this is not the same
It's a different thing
Altogether
This is not the same
It's another thing
All together
This is love
This is love


Now... I have go root this bitterness out of my heart and love all the above-mentioned fools. Even Maya Angelou struggles with that one, so at least I'm in good company.

ADDED NOTE: MAY 1st - The woman who is persecuting the English teacher put this photo as her profile picture on facebook.





           

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on an inter-faith community board for many years, and I always sat next to the same guy (named Dan, ironically enough). He was a church leader (don't recall his actual title) and a dad and a husband and a son, etc. He and I became friends, as did our kids when they landed in the same co-op pre-school. When I think of the perfect example of a christian, I think of this person, and his family. When I see these asshats in the news? Christian is not the first word that springs to mind. Keep up the good work, JC would be proud of you. (Well, he IS proud of you.)
Julie

Skye said...

I have to say, I have had a lot of very bad experiences with "Christians". I can also say, literally and sincerely, two of my best and oldest friends are Christians. One is quite liberal and a bit of an activist.

I've known some militant pagans who were intolerant, as well as militant secular humanists, feminists, athiests, hindus. I'm sure they are in all faiths; I've even heard of voilent, militant Buddhists which is about as big an oxymoron as you can get.

I believe in love and compassion and that all things are connected: the stars, the planets, the earth, the humans, the animals, the plants, the rocks, and even those nasty roaches. Remembering that you are only a couple of molecules and a lot of fortunate history is all the separates you from a poor person would go a long way toward healing the planet.

I'm desperate for the human race to mature a bit more. Really. Now would be good.

London Mabel said...

@urthualun - I can only imagine the kinds of people who wouldn't believe in an interfaith community board to begin with! Shiver.

@skye - Ditto on the maturity. As Groucho Marx said when riffing on bigamy: "Let's be big for a change!" :-)

lora96 said...

Girl, anyone who DOESN'T struggle with this isn't a very deep thinker.

And blaming poor people for dying in storms? I'm sorry, I need to SMASH SOMETHING over that heartless rot. Oooh maybe we could also take the impoverished to task for not getting proper dental care...let's blame them for that, too.

widdershins said...

Much of the world is transitioning through incredible upheaval at the moment, so much polarisation, that I made a executive decision the other day to severely limit the amount of global information I access for a week and take time to breathe. I figure that things are moving so fast that a week will change everything yet again.

Do you get this feeling that we're on a spiral that's getting tighter and faster all the time?

Aluwings said...

"Now... I have go root this bitterness out of my heart and love ..."

In that challenge I often try to meditate on the words from Paul (the apostle guy...) "our stuggle is not against people, but against the powerful ideas and dark attitudes surrounding us all..." (my own paraphrase)...

London Mabel said...

@widder - Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We're interconnected like never before, with technology that changes incredibly fast, so then I think yes. But then I'll be reading of some earlier historical period and the upheavals people went through, and I think... maybe it always feels this way. But surely they were able to escape it easier than we can? That is to say, I agree with limiting one's access. I can't tune stay tuned into the news all the time, it's too much.

@aluwings - The dark attitudes r stoopid. I hates dem.

London Mabel said...

@lora - Hm yes, what else can we blame the poor for? For not saving up enough money for their kids' university education! Don't they know the value of it?? Geez.

DeAnn said...

Hello Mabel ... I peek in on wonderWings, maybe often enough for a prayer when the storms blew through the South (uh huh ... USA). After establishing that things might not be that bad (we still have internet connection...) he referenced this post of yours ... and I popped in a wrote a really nice long note to you ... from my iPhone ... but ... as it sometimes goes, the note was lost before it could be sent ... so I am back today to try again.
I have enjoyed becoming aquainted with you. I can see that you also are a beautiful little mess ... lol ... as all my favorite people are.
So ... a comment on this particular post: We now live in the South ... aka the black belt of the US. I was reticent to move here ... to raise my family here ... all I knew of the South was learned by reading books like "Deliverance" , "BlackLike Me", and LIFE magazine photojournaling the strife ... the hatred which festered in the 60's and 70's ... . Hate always leaves scars doesn't it?

I could, and I think maybe I will over on my blog (lol) write a bit on this. I would like to say here though, it absolutely amazes me that this State, Alabama, doesn't do a much better job with PR. The population is very stratified along economic and ethnic lines ... and spiritual as well. But I think, even during the 20years that we have lived here, we have seen amazing healing ... miraculous even ... as people open their hearts to holding hands through good days and tragic days as well. The truth is, the South doesn't really realize how "poor" they/we are because there is a wealth of something that might be "love" expressed here.
Taxes ... really ... Alabama has a State tax ... we live in a town with huge city taxes ... and professional tax! (the schools rock, producing National Merit Scholars like an assembly line!)
It's truly nowhere near as horrible here as one might gather!
I probably should do a little post on this!
BTW ... the real religion is "football" with both teams claiming god's favor! Everyone wears team colors to church on Sunday ... and they mean it! lol
...rich in flavor ... let it simmer another 20 years and it's probably gonna be fabulous!
~D

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}