QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I Surrender! (zee art of letting gooo)

Last week Fernando and I watched the episodes of Master Class featuring Oprah. I want to retell a great story she told.

An Oprah Story
She was raped at 9, and pregnant at 14, so when she read The Color Purple she was gobsmacked by it. It starts like this:



The main character has been raped and is pregnant. When Oprah heard it was being made into a movie she was determined to get a part. When she tried out, it was for a role opposite the character Harpo--Oprah spelled backwards. She was sure it was a sign, but the casting director was completely scornful: We have real actresses reading for this part. Alfre Woodard is reading for this part.

Someone told her, if she had any chance at all she'd have to lose weight. So off she went to a fat farm, miserable and hopeless. One day she was running around the track, talking to God. She wondered why he brought her this close to the movie, only to slam the door in her face? But as she ran, she made a decision that she was just going to have to let it go. That if she didn't get the part, it was going to be okay, she just wouldn't see the movie.

But that wasn't good enough, she thought. She had to let it go to the extent that she could see the movie. See the movie and not only accept Alfre Woodard in the part, but enjoy it, and believe her to be the right person for the part. Oprah started singing something to herself, and thinking these thoughts, until she really believed it. Until she finally let The Color Purple go.

RIGHT THEN someone from the retreat ran out and said she had a phone call. It was Steven Spielberg, who was directing The Color Purple. He said: I hear you're at a fat farm. We're considering you for Sofia, but if you lose one pound you might not get the part.

She left the center, and had Dairy Queen on the way home.



"God can dream a bigger dream for me, for you, than you could ever dream for yourself. When you've worked as hard and done as much and strived and tried and given and pled and bargained and hoped...surrender. When you have done all that you can do, and there's nothing left for you to do, give it up. Give it up to that thing that is greater than yourself, and let it then become a part of the flow." (Oprah in Master Class)

I've been thinking about it all week, especially since surrender recently turned up in a card in Julieland and resonated with folk. I don't think we'll all experience the Miracle of the Phone Call at the Fat Farm, but I still think this is great advice: "When you have done all that you can do, and there's nothing left for you to do, give it up."

My Experience
Fernando's avatar.
When my husband and I were first going out, he fell into a depression and I had to ask myself: If he remains like this forever, can I still be with him? And the answer was yes. And that's when I was able to let my worries go. And Cheerful Fernando returned, in his own time.

I was once talking with a friend of Gilby--she was complaining about her boyfriend who always went out with the boys after work and never came home. I gave her the same advice: What if he never changes, can you be happy with him just as he is? She later told Gilby I was an idiot. But only a few months later she'd broken up with the guy and the next time I saw her she had a new man in her life, someone serious and committed to her. My guess is that she let go of the idea that he would change, and that allowed her to let go of him.

Letting go isn't like having a wand that makes your dreams come true the way you want them to. That's not surrender. I think it's about accepting your life as it is in the present, and to accept the idea that if your ideas for the future don't come true, your world won't crumble. And to leave space for even better ideas.

For example, Oprah started off wanting to be a teacher, she became a news reporter, and one day they stuck her on a talk show. And only then did she realize what kind of teacher she wanted to be. She could not have dreamed up that job when she was 10 years old.



The other advantage to letting go is just the peace of mind it brings. What kind of damage do we do to ourselves when we hold onto disappointment and bitterness?

My Final Musings
So. What I've been pondering this week is how to draw the balance between "doing all that you can do" to reach your goals, and "surrendering." Because that's the other part of this statement: You first do everything in your power to make all your goals and dreams come true. Then you let them go. But doing everything can be a long road. If you're trying to be a professional athlete you'll know by a certain age whether it's gonna happen; not so if you're trying to be a published writer.


Maybe there's something to be learned from the idea of wu wei, from yesterday's homework:

The Essential Chijang T/L1 Trans Hamill & Seaton


And now I'm curious if anyone else has ever found "letting go" to be true?


[Further edits done April 20.]

4 comments:

BrotherPaul said...

"So. What I've been pondering this week is how to draw the balance between "doing all that you can do" to reach your goals, and "surrendering.""



My newest bandmate said that there is a Buddhist concept of "Don't be married to the outcome." Do your part, but let go of your expectations - what will happen, will happen.

I've applied it to many things recently, but in this specific context, I haven't had a bad show since, as I don't expect anything from a live show other than to enjoy whatever the evening brings.

A bandmate or two might walk away from a gig upset or disheartened because the evening wasn't what they were hoping for, but I end up having had an enjoyable evening because I let go of my expectations and enjoyed the experience for what it was rather than how it compared to what I was hoping for.

I surrender my expectations and my belief that I have any control over outcomes and appreciate what is.

London Mabel said...

That's what I figured--letting go should at least give one a little happiness, even if it doesn't produce a phone call from Spielberg.

widdershins said...

I figure that if I do my 50%, the Universe, or whatever is the First Cause of a All Things will take care of the rest. Thats the letting go and trusting part, and it's not always what I expect/predict/want it to be, that would not only be foolish and arrogant, but inevitably a step forward on my path.
The catch is, I must strive to do 100% of my 50%!

London Mabel said...

The 50-100-50 plan. Nice.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}