QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, May 8, 2014

If it's Wednesday it must be Sudbury

I was only going to drive to Sault-Ste-Marie, but dad mentioned it's reachable to get to Sudbury--so I push on. Rolled in here around 9 PM. I think I can make it to Montreal tomorrow!

Won't bother uploading photos because this internet is crappy. I'm at a crappy motel, with no redeeming cowboy features. But I want to leave early and get the hell out of here! Out of Huge Fucking Ontario!!

So instead, some observations:

***I SAW MOOSES! The first walked across the highway slowly and in stages, but then a second one came bumbling out, frolicked across the road, did a little soft shoe dance at the side of the road, then moved on. I suspect the second was a juvenile. Pics tomorrow!

* The gas stations in Ontario are more often Full Service than the other provinces. But at least that meant I could make someone else check my oil.

* There were more Canadian flags in Sault-Ste-Marie than anywhere else. Trying to prove they're not French?

* Between Sault and Sudbury there were often buggy warning signs. In other words, don't hit the... Mennonites? Not sure which community it was, but I saw a few buggies. Hope they're not dealing drugs like the ones in Alberta!

* I don't get spelling words purposely wrong, to name a company. I'm not punctuationally snobby, but I just don't get it. Like "cruz" instead of "cruise".  "Cheep smokes." "Great Valu" car washes. How great is the value if they can't spell?

* If you can't find your notebook one handed while driving, use the back of your Terry Pratchett paperback.

* Manitoba has the cheesiest road signs. Ontario has the most zen-like. As you're driving every once in awhile you'll see a big blue sign, with calm life messages:

- DRIVE ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS
- LARGE VEHICLES TAKE MORE ROOM
- CAN'T SEE DON'T PASS

Very practical advice.

* Bob's Burgers is right, there are a lot of punny business names out there. Like Junk for Joy.

* There's an aboriginal town called Pays Plat. It means Flat Country and is nestled in between rolling hills and mounts.

* I never did figure out what this sign means. Watch for falling cereal?


* Some road signs warn about elk, others moose and deer. Do these animals only inhabit separate lands? Do they have an agreement with each other? And don't cross into each other's turf? Did they put up the signs themselves?

* The roads in small cities are terrible. Medicine Hat, Thunder Bay and Sault would tie for super crappy roadeousness. And the lines are all gone, everyone drives on faith. Does Nanaimo have more taxes? Cause the roads are great. I will never again tolerate people making fun of Montreal roads. At least we have mob-involvement-corruption as an excuse. What's theirs'??

* My dad pointed out that when there's a SLOW THE F**K DOWN with a lower KM/H posted, you can always see dents and scrapes where previous cars hit roadside dividers.

* There is a Bruins fan in Kenora and they were bold enough to put the flag in their window



5 comments:

Skye said...

A happy, dancing moose-ling: that makes the whole trip worthwhile! :)

Anonymous said...

Just got all caught up. Loved the Cowboy room and greeter/helper dog!

I was sorry to hear of your family's loss. Sending love to all involved, moving on like that can be so traumatic. Healing happens, I promise.

Safe arrivals, my friend.

Julie
(who SO enjoyed your trip updates)

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to thank you for the doll house link and quilt views!

widdershins said...

Dancing mooses!

London Mabel said...

:-D

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}