QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, May 2, 2014

If it's Thursday it Must Be Calgary

WROTE THIS EARLIER TODAY BUT COULDN'T POST TIL NOW.

Sitting in a Starbucks in Red Deer, Alberta, having an Oprah chai tea latte. I've never been here, so decided to make it my pee stop between Edmonton and Calgary.

My dad and I had a great drive from BC to Alberta. Beautiful weather, clear highways. After visiting my aunt in Chilliwack we went through the Rockies and Jasper Park. Even at this dreary-ish time of year the park was beautiful--I'll post pics once I'm somewhere I can use my computer rather than ipad.

My dad drove so I could take in the sights, then I drove through the rolling farmlands into Edmonton. Because this is all new to me I find even the "boring" drives interesting. My dad taught my how to use cruise control and the anti-overdrive button, and I'm trying to see the beauty that exists at any time of year. Even when the trees aren't in leaf and the fields are just stubble. Just being in the moment and being alive.

On the drive from BC my dad found out that his cousin J died. He's been parapelegic since an accident at 18 and always said that the day he was at risk of losing independence, he would take his own life. And sadly, that's what happened. So if you have any comforting vibes to send into the universe, maybe direct a few at his daughters. :-( My dad's been kind of shaken up too. Probably the cousin he was closest to, and lived in Nanaimo.

This post is long enough, I'd better go! Fernando's sister awaits! But first, pics of my Aunt's dog, Charlie.

Charlie was sure dad and I were going to kill her, but loooves my second cousin.
 

 

4 comments:

BarbN said...

I'm going to be in Calgary in August, too bad we couldn't have timed it better! I hope you are having a fun time with your dad, love the comic strips you've been posting on FB.

Skye said...

I've only ever been to BC. Chilliwack was he furthest east we went. It must be lovely to drive through such different and interesting landscapes!

Charlie the dog is very cute. Too bad he's paranoid; he didn't give himself the opportunity to enjoy two lovely, caring people's attention!

And what the heck is an Oprah chai latte? I get chai lattes and iced chai lattes, but have never heard them referred to as Oprah chai.

widdershins said...

Bon Voyage J. May your journey to the Summerlands be filled with peace and wonder. A candle on the altar for all who loved him.

I too am curious about Oprah's chai.

Little dawgs give such wonderful sideways snake-eyes. (first pic) I hope Charlie eventually relaxed.

London Mabel said...

@Barb - Hopefully you won't get snow... yes, it's snowing right now.

@Skye - It's some specially created chai tea, costs a little bit more and part of the money goes to her schools or whatever. I figured I'd better try it. What's a road trip for if not new experiences.

@widders - Thanks

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}