QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Second to last day: Nipigon to Sudbury

Alright, we're back in the cowboy hotel in Nipigon...

Cut my bangs using nail scissors.

Very scenic driving--looked more like what I expected the Rockies to look like, than the Rockies did. Forest and lakes and steep hills. I stopped at a cute tea house in the hills and had Godiva Rooibos in a disposable French press cup! Look at that!

My colleague-friendies' Tim Hortons and Subway gift cards kept me in food through the whole rest of the trip.

This whole area of Ontario is lake lake lake.

Some frozen.

The first gas stop I made, in Kenora, it was all full-servicey which caught me off guard. I commented on it and the guy said, "This is Ontario." And indeed most of the gas stations were full service. Well, at least this way I got someone else to check my oil.

Doo doo doo traveling along!
We had fun, my stuffies and I.


There were a lot of Moose warning signs, so I was determined, I was SURE, I would see a moose. A moose moose moose! I was determined!

Huzzah! [These pics are all bigger if you click on them.] This truck and I stopped and waited for this moose who walked slowely and carefully across the road.

Then just when the truck was going to start again... bing! Out came a littler moose, running across! It hadn't learned yet that you're supposed to go slow. "Mommy wait for me weeeee!" 

It stopped at the side of the road and tap danced a bit, and then followed the mommy. Yay! Mooses!

This drive was beautiful, but it was challenging. Like, you couldn't do it on auto-pilot. Lots of twists and hills and construction.

Many times it was overcast, but that made for easy driving at least.
I listened to an audiobook, but the rest of the time I listened to music. I was really enjoying myself. Singing, driving.

 More of these mispelled-for-no-reason businesses. Cruz Deliveries.


Mohawk Motel. Dude with a headdress. Guys, we are not in the Prairies anymore, and that is not the kind of headdress a Mohawk wears. 

 Even though the Aboriginal community of Kenora is 15%, but half the townies I saw were Native. In fact I saw a lot more Aboriginal people throughout most of Canada, than I do in Montreal. Quebec has the second lowest population in Canada, and I would guess that many of them are North of Montreal.




Sunset! Time to find a town and a motel.

4 comments:

Skye said...

I have been enjoying your travelougue quite a bit. Plus, MOOSES!!!!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

On a road trip long ago my brother and I discovered the usefulness of Subway. You can order a foot long and keep half of it for later and it will still taste good later.
Your trip seems to be going well. Sweet moose spotting.

widdershins said...

Mooooooses!

Aluwings said...

Did I tell you that those buildings that look like giant "Maddonna Bra Cups" are used to store the sand/salt/gravel used on the roads.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}