QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, July 29, 2011

And so they invented Hysteria just for our foremothers

I experienced post fail this week. I guess the closer I get to finishing up the plotting side of my book, the further my head gets from non-fiction ways, and more into fiction. That's usually what happens. I've been reading a lot instead.

But here's a thing I thought worth posting. I was just catching up on Casa Pinka's blog <-- if you click that link it will lead you to the most excellent still life Junior Makes Toast. She posted a picture of one of this artist's paintings, and I had to go look up more and share with you. Her name is Kelly Reemsten.

The Hapless Romantic


Inconspicuous


Pardon the Interruption


Flower Girl



I don't have much to say. They just reminded me of that storyline from The Hours, of the housewife who abandons her family because otherwise she would kill herself from misery. And it reminds me of Mad Men, or rather the reason I can't watch it. What a suffocating life housewifery must have been for some women--depending on the women, depending on the circumstances. Just the idea that a husband is allowed to talk to his wife's psychologist about how her therapy is going makes me mental, I have to turn the channel.


I'm not saying Housewife is a bad job, but like every job, it's not for everyone. So when you take one job and hold it up as the ideal for one sex, and hold up one way of doing it as the ideal, and you don't even give that sex the control over how to do it and the resources for doing it... man... that has the potential for major psychic pain.


I felt the same thing when I watched the historical "reality" shows Edwardian Country House and Regency House Party. I love Regency romance novels, but the reality is women's lives were so circumscribed, so narrow, that if any of us were dropped through a time machine into the 1820s we'd go mad.




3 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I love that artist. And you're right, if I had to live that life, I'd go mad.
The title of your article reminded me of Amanda Quick. I usually hate historical romance but since she's really Jayne Ann Krentz, whom I love, I read some of hers.
In some of them there is a doctor who treats 'female hysteria'. In some of them he treats them with a process where he is essentially masturbating them. In other novels he has a device he uses that sounds like a vibrator.
I always get a good laugh from this. Maybe I wouldn't go as crazy if I were going twice weekly to a 'dr' for an orgasm!

London Mabel said...

I haven't read that Quick novel, but I was thinking of those vibrator treatments too! lol It's the least they could do for those poor women.

widdershins said...

Excellent piece ... and the reminder of how much I enjoyed 'The Hours' ... must watch it again sometime soon - once the editing's done!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}