QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, July 2, 2011

A day at the theatah

My blogging might return to some normalcy this week. ... I didn't think the Prince concert brain breakdown would be this productive, but I've already written up several posts that I'm all mustsharemustsharemustshare. As well as linking all kinds of things on facebook that could have become posts. And storing up things to my comments blogs. Seems like one little part of my brain has cleared, but who knows, it might not last. I'm not counting any chickadees.

I don't have any kitty pics this week I'm afraid. Just this...

Fernando felt like seeing a movie Thursday night, since it's a long weekend for him. We rushed off to try and catch Transformers 3--his fave childhood series.

We got the right bus, so were in plenty of time. As we sauntered through the door we saw a poster for this:


Cineplex sometimes shows operas and theatre pieces from Stratford and the National Theatre.



Last year Fernando agreed to come see Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra with me, with Christopher Plummer, which was wonderful. But it's not something I'd expect him to agree to on a whim. He enjoys literature, but not necessarily when he's in the mood for transforming robot adventure.

Me: Oh it's one of those plays--playing today I guess.
F: Let's go see it."
[pausing at the doors]
M: You want to see The Cherry Orchard instead of Transformers.
F: It's Chekhov.
M: And you want to see him now, tonight.
F: What's wrong with you? It's Chekhov!
M: You want to see Chekhov instead of Transformers?
F: I've read and seen The Cherry Orchard two or three times. It's Chekhov!
M: And you want to see it again. Tonight.
F: Yes.
M: Instead of Transformers.
F: It's Chekhov!!

So we saw Chekhov, and my husband can still surprise me after 18 years.


I love plays so I've always wanted to read or see him, but I've always been putting him off because of the depression factor. Oh. My. Days. I was, like, blown back against my chair. What a play. So sad that they only do the National Theatre showings on one date (Stratford ones are sometimes on more than one day) cause I can't recommend it to you guys!

So many different emotions, so much going on, so much tension, so much intensity. Gasp!!


Zoë Wannamaker was so powerful! Oh my days my days. I couldn't remember where I'd seen her (Harry Potter, and Agatha Christie adaptations) because I was so completely immersed in her story of this woman whose childhood home and estate is threatened with foreclosure. Lady Andreyevna reminded me of Dickens' Lady Dedlock, and Gaskell's Lady Ludlow...


...aristocratic women so firmly trapped in their situations that even when an escape hatch is opened to them, you're afraid they're just going to go down with the ship. And that's where all the tension is. Like watching Holly Hunter at the end of The Piano, waiting to see if she'll free herself from her shackle in time, or just let herself drown.

A couple weeks ago I watched Harold Lloyd's Safety Last! for the first time ever, and man does it ever stand up over time. The climax of the story is that he his character has to climb the side of a 12 story building in order to win enough money to marry his sweetheart, to whom he's passionately devoted. I'd just been reading Maas' advice about how to build suspense in a novel, and watching this scene is like the dictionary definition of building suspense for genre stories. Lloyd makes his character suffer. Everything that can go wrong goes wrong. And in original, creative ways. A dog chase on the side of a building? Gun shots? Getting electrocuted? Fear of heights is only the start.



But Maas also talks about building suspense in literary novels, and The Cherry Orchard provides a perfect companion to Lloyd's movie. It isn't full of surprise plot twists and skeletons in the closet and the sudden revelation that the butler is actually the duke's bastard child. It's just a house full of characters--their dreams and ideals and histories and pains and sorrows and their love. And that's what creates the suspense and drives the plot.

The climax of the play was so harrowing, I was almost clutching my gut in pain. And during the climax of Lloyd's movie I was clapping with delight like a hyper child.

Ahhh. Art. If only my Prime Minister didn't hate you.



              

4 comments:

lora96 said...

I didn't do well with The Cherry Orchard when I read it in college...too sad (I know, it's Chekhov but it's the only Chekhov I have ever read so I say this in total ignorance!) and I felt that the main character was unfairly ridiculed for her lack of financial knowledge and responsibility when the social strictures of the times fitted her for nothing of the sort.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I'm going to have to watch the whole Safety Lost movie now. I love physical comedy. It gets me everytime. (Except the 3 Stooges.)

widdershins said...

Our fearless leader is showing his true colours now that he has his majority.

London Mabel said...

@Lora - I think you would have liked this staging, then, because she's not ridiculed at all. It felt like she wasn't letting go of her land, not because she didn't understand finance, but because of emotional reasons. A life she couldn't part with, childhood memories etc. That's why she reminded me of Lady Ludlow, who in Cranford keeps putting her estates more and more into debt for her loser son, even though she knows he's a loser, but... he's her son. Sniff sniff!

@JJJ - For me it depends on the actor. I love the Marx Brothers for example, including Harpo's physical comedy. And of course Lloyd, Chaplin and Keaton. :-)

@widder - Sigh. Ya. I can count at least 5 stories in the last month that made me >:-( He's coming fast and hard.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}