QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bridesmaids good for les womens? Oui!

I saw Bridesmaids awhile back, appropriately with a femmefriend, but didn't blog it yet! Not as a "hey, good movie" but because I'm hoping it signals a shift towards better movies about women.

Geek visionary Paul Feig & his pioneering stars
The Sex and the City movies were a good start. They don't represent how I see my female friendships, but I appreciated how they brought women out to the theaters and proved to Hollywood that yes, they can make movies starring women and still make money. They just need to either (a) feature popular subject matter (ie. a popular TV show), or (b) be good.

Bridesmaids is a case of (b) -- a really well written and well directed and well acted movie, with broad appeal, beyond broads. While Sex and the City was the "dress up and go with your girlfriends" movie, Bridesmaids is ungendered. It's a hybrid of a romantic comedy, a girlfriends-fighting movie, and the ultimate boyo genre: the gross out or raunch comedy. Written by two women, brought to you by the raunch king Judd Apatow, and directed by the originator of the geek trend: Paul Feig.

Linsday & Kim: True womance
Paul Feig!! The creator of one of my all-time fave shows Freaks and Geeks!! Which also had an excellent female friendship, that evolves into a touching womance. (You've all seen this series right??!!)

Now, while I lurv La Apatow, and most of the movies attached to the Freaks and Geeks gang --Virgin, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, Superbad, Forgetting Sarah Marshall (when will Bill get his own feature film?)--I'm not a fan of the actual vomity side of gross out movies. The first hour of Bridesmaids provides toilet humor like you won't believe. But strangely... even the diarrhea scene... the most horrid horrid diarrhea scene ever... it's strangely plot appropriate, and maintains a sort of dignity for our heroine. Even as it HORRIFIES YOU.

Anyway, I'm blathering. Here's what I loved about Bridesmaids:

* It's a female driven movie that is honest to God funny. There's about four major comedic set pieces and they all work. I so love Apatow-style stupid-boy movies because it's so fun to watch a bunch of boys being dumb asses ("You embarrass yourself!"), but I'm always yearning for movies with women like that. In the movies women are rarely let-loose ridiculous unrealistic funny, they're more quirky funny.

That's why one of my favorite bad-movies is Head Over Heels about a smart woman with a bunch of dumb roommates--cause the roomies are stupid-boy-movie funny. I want more movies with ridiculous chicks.
I think they're watching the hero & heroine have sex in this scene, in his apartment across the street. She comes home to find them passed out on the couch and realizes what happened. "What? You didn't close the blind."
 * While the behavior of the characters is over the top, the basic emotions are realistic. There are different kinds of friendship in it, and I *got* them all, including the baddie's. These are things I've seen in real life--people I've seen, albeit made larger than life.

* It doesn't take place in an orientalist super-consumer fantasy land (though consumerism is one of the topics.)

* While the women are beautiful, they look... interesting. You know that feeling when you're watching a made for TV movie and the actors all have this sort of Generic Look to them? For example, the actor playing the bride, Maya Rudolph, has one of the most interesting faces I've seen in a longo time-o.

generic face
Maya Rudolph

* Classic example of a character's life towering, and while the romance of the romantic comedy is fulfilled by the end, kudos to the writers--her life is not magically put back together. Not by a long shot.

* Wee props to the cutie romantic character. Not your typical chiseled chin. He eats baby carrots and is very concerned about tail lights.


Here are the posters from the movie. 


So funny. You wanted to be her besty too.

 Our protagonist, Kristen Wiig the co-writer of the movie. So funny. Really good at playing someone who kinda hates herself, but we don't wanna kill her. (Well I didn't.)

The perfidious friend stealer! A baddie worthy of the saccharine fiancée in Arthur.

If anyone did the Russell Brand style scene stealing, it was Melissa McCarthy. Holy mackinole, I loved her. And now she won't go down in history as the chubby sunshiney girl. "Life is biting you in the ass!" And oh the puppies.

Bottom line: If the humor from movies like 40 Year Old Virgin or Love, Actually is too raunchy for you, then stay away from Bridesmaids. But otherwise, I give thumbs up.  ... Well really... it's so good you ought to see it anyway, because the comedic set pieces... my days. But history tells me you'll see it with my brother and your 80 year old stoical mother and later I'll get an email from my brother saying "Why did I rent this movie with dad and gramma what was I thinking??" and I'll write back saying "Ya what were you thinking?" and he'll be all "I forgot about the diarrhea scene, I just remembered how the character grew and learned, and the touching friendships" and I'll be all "Oh ya, I forgot too, but still" and he'll be all "I should stick to movies about dying people" and later I'll mention it to my step-mother and she'll be like "Well it's embarrassing watching these things with Gramma" and I'll think, well fair enough, but secretly lament that my step-mother saw the movie in Oppressive Circumstances because while she doesn't have sex-and-gross sense of humor, she is otherwise totally slapstick-low-brow, so sometimes you get her on her own and she laughs at the worst things I'm telling you, it's hi-lar-ious. So all I'm saying is... if you're going to risk watching the movie, don't watch it with my brother or my grandmother. ...Oh did I go off on a tangent?


     

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol I love your tangents. I will try & see it based on what you say here. I didn't see 40yo virgin but I adored Love Actually. And I enjoyed Sex and the City, too. There was a lot I didn't like about it but I loved the women friendships.
And I love Melissa McCarthy. And I love movies where the actors don't have to be GQ / Vogue pretty.

London Mabel said...

I watched the entire Sex and the City series, and I enjoyed the first movie--just not so much the second. And I was disappointed by how the Carrie storyline resolved in the series. You're in your fave city on the planet and acting like a whiny baby?? NO SYMPATHY! ;-)

There's lots of warning for the diarrhea scene, so you can run to another room and hide.

Kat Phoenix said...

Yeah, looks like I'll have to fork up the 15 dollars and go see this with my friend before she goes off to India.

Because really, you had me at 'Pineapple Express'. lol

Kristin said...

Oh, see, I don't think Love Actually is anything like the Apatow movies... I mean, sure, there is sex, but... Am I forgetting that stuff happened other than that they grew and learned?

Apatow: Hated Sarah Marshall and Pineapple Express beyond all reason. Especially the latter. And I was *high* when I saw it. It may have to do in part with the fact that I watched the extended cut, which went on for about three hours.

But I do get tired of feminists being so self-righteous about these movies. Loved Superbad in particular.

Now, I cannot *stand* Kristin Wiig on Saturday Night Live. I think she overdoes everything and is painful to watch... I'm interested in the movie, but then... I'm not sure I could handle two hours of Kristin Wiig.

London Mabel said...

Love Actually is just similar in the sense of the mixture of romantic comedy and raunch.

Extended cut of Pineapple Express? lol It's not an art film!!

London Mabel said...

@Kat - I think part of what I loved with Pineapple was getting to see James Franco in a funny role again. Cause he was the one Freaks and Geeks guy with Hollywood looks, so he went on to be all Green Goblin Serious Guy. But he's so funny!

Also some very good "comedic set pieces" in that one. (After reading the rom com screenplay book, with its chapter on humor, I'm all about studying the comedic set pieces. I so lurv comedic set pieces--those moments where everything crescendos into The Funny for 10 minutes or so. Bridesmaids has some good ones.)

Kristin said...

Well, yeah, I mean, I didn't do it on purpose... Realized when it finally ended. I think it was just the "unrated" cut or something, which added like 45 minutes to the whole thing... It was TERRIBLE. I doubt I'd have liked even the cut released in theaters though... I just didn't find it funny. Plus, *so* racist. Did that part go in the regular cut? They had a bunch of LONG DRAWN THE FUCK OUT fights with these Asian ninjas... Even if that was in the original film, I doubt it went on for as long. I feel like I watched that bit for 45 minutes...

See, I remember not any raunch in Love Actually. I mean, there were the two body doubles filming sex scenes (or soft core or whatever it was). Oh, and the guy who went to the Midwest to meet women...? I guess that was kinda raunchy. I really liked that movie, though, especially the Colin Firth/Portuguese woman storyline.

And Sarah Marshall seemed too silly to me... Plus that was Kristin whatsername from Veronica Mars, and she had to just be the ditzy, superficial blonde... And she's so great. That show was kinda based on Buffy, and she was far, far better than Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I don't really understand why feminists hate the movies, though... I mean, Apatow's wife played a sort of shrewish character in Knocked Up, but really... I don't remember that kind of thing dominating everything else. And I really, really liked Superbad.

Kristin said...

Oh, and also Emma Thompson.

London Mabel said...

@Kristin - To me Pineapple Express was just a play on the on-the-lam-from-drug-lords movies, so the drug lords being Asian just fit with that same stereotype. But it certainly didn't need to. The Apatow films are tres white and there's a funny editorial on them at Racialicious:

http://www.racialicious.com/2008/08/22/judd-apatow-and-the-art-of-white-masculinity/

Maybe it explains why feminists hate them. I didn't know They Did. I don't see why, since they're a pretty accurate depiction of dudes.

I so loved Russell Brand in Sarah Marshall. "Have you seen this shoe? It's like this one but... opposite. Not evil..." Jason Segel writes some really funny lines. And he's so good at writing and playing Ordinary, Care too Much, Non-Game-Playing Guys, it's heartbreaking. "She bought me this tupperware so my cereal would always stay fresh." And then I loved the puppets.

Superbad took me the longest to get into, because it's the meanest of the gang, and the humiliations are hard to bear. But it's impossible to resist the call of the Mclovin.

London Mabel said...

Oh also, that wife character in Knocked Up, she was damned funny. I didn't think she was a negative female character at all--not the classic shrewish wife / best friend etc. She could have had more scenes and I would've been happy!

Kristin said...

Yeah, I thought that wife character in Knocked Up was funny too.

I dunno... I just hear Aaptow panned a lot in online feminist circles. And by my other friends who are feminists. And not because of the whiteness, but because of their alleged misogyny. I don't really see them that way. Well, except for Sarah Marshall. And I think they also get criticized a lot for not having very many female characters, etc. But then these same people didn't really welcome Bridesmaids either... I don't know. It is one of many reasons I don't feel entirely comfortable with North American feminism as such.

I didn't think of Superbad as mean in particular, but then I don't remember much about the details of films very long after the fact. I just remember it for the friendship between those guys. And McLovin'.

London Mabel said...

Maybe I don't mean mean, but just darker humor, or mean to the main character or something. I don't remember. But halfway through I got into it.

lora96 said...

It's unlikely I could handle the poo jokes. I'm all for silliness but gross-out is not my scene.

I loved SATC (did NOT understand why they stuck her with Big at the end or in the movie when he dumped her at that altar...) and I did like the second movie as the eye candy it is. I'm sorry but they were on a FREE vacation and as soon as Samantha offended the host they had to hustle home b/c they couldn't afford to stay. Personally I won a free vacay to NYC a few years ago and got to stay at the Ritz Central Park, tour Sotheby's and shop at Tiffany. It ain't real life but it was damn nice. I took pictures.

guess I'm an escapism girl

Although I seriously want more female-centric flicks out there so it's not such a damn EVENT when one comes out.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}