QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

An excellent book about writers

Here's my Goodreads review for the book I finished yesterday. I already put a couple of my favorite passages on an earlier post, I'll add a couple more below.

____

One of the best books about writing I've read, though it's not a how-to. Betsy Lerner was an editor for 15 years at a few houses, and is now an agent (she was also a poet.) She says the first half of her book is meant as an encouragement to those stalled in their writing or afraid of writing; maybe because that's not my problem, I just found it to be a celebration of writers. She tells great stories both from her own career and from the lives of famous writers and their editors, and really gives you the drive to just keep pushing onward. It's full of quotable moments.

The second half is her advice about the publishing industry, step-by-step from querying to marketing. If it were only practical advice the book wouldn't be that different from others and I'd have been disappointed. But again she brings her personal stories and a wealth of anecdotes to the subject matter, so in the end it feels like you've spent a week having lunches with your new New York publishing friend. 

Finally, Lerner just writes really well. Clear prose, funny, inspiring, and though her background is in literary fiction she doesn't turn her nose up at popular writing. I don't just recommend this to writers, but to people who love books and want the insider scoop on the old world of publishing (the one that's likely on the cusp of a radical overhaul.)
___

In this part Lerner talks about the possibility that what you loved about books was that there was no censure, and in them you were free to express anything about yourself:

All my life, people have scolded me for having an excess of feeling, saying that I was too sensitive--as if one could be in danger from feeling too much instead of too little. But my outsize emotions were well represented in books .... In the slyly dark and chilling lines of one of my favorite British poets, Philip Larkin, I found images that cracked the world open. I am not suggesting a writer let it bleed so much as I am suggesting that he harness whatever drives him.

I suggest you stalk your demons. ... If you have been unable to make your work count or stick, you must grab them by the neck and face them down. And whatever you do, don't censor yourself.
Oddly enough I identify with that, cause when I was a teenager sometimes people tried to tell me I should write realistic stories, instead of my wild and crazy comedies about my friends as adults. (Must be the reason I'm the only person who doesn't like Little Women. Jo is no role model for me!) To this day I have to suppress an eye-roll when someone asks me: Why don't you write about what you know?

Heyer and Wodehouse rescued me. They proved you can write the most ridiculous novels, bring all your craft to them, and they'll sparkle like diamonds. So... what drives me? What do I need to harness? Making people laugh. That's all. And what do I know? I know human beings. It was good enough for Shakespeare who, as far as we know, wasn't an Italian teenager, or a suicidal Dane.

___

In a later chapter Lerner quotes Salinger on a related topic:

"One day, a long time from now you'll cease to care anymore whom you please or what anybody has to say about you. That's when you'll produce the work you're capable of."
Mind, there are writers who did that alienated them from their friends (Truman Capote) or angered entire communities (Philip Roth). I don't know if my comedy will ever require that of me!

___
"'I wrote stories from the time I was a little girl,' recalled Joan Didion, 'but I didn't want to be a writer. I wanted to be an actress. I didn't realize then that it's the same impulse. It's make believe. It's performance.'"
Lerner has other quotes about writers writing from an early age, but I that one makes me laugh cause when I was little I used to like dancing, and I wanted to be a "star" when I grew up. Nothing specific like an actor or a singer or a dancer. Just a star.

___

"...antisocial behavior is essential. An absolute solipsism takes over as the writer becomes more alive inside his work than in the real world. ... What look like neurosis and eccentric behavior may provide the crucial barricade that enables the writer to work when everything in life conspires to distract him or co-opt his energies."
This is why I depend on my husband or friends to make me leave the house sometimes. Unfortunately I only have one friend who isn't as bad as me (thanks Swiss Girl.) They're not writers, what's their excuse? They're all artsy I guess. When I was in high school and Swiss Girl would call and I'd been writing, she could always tell, cause I'd have nothing to say. I was happy to listen, but words would escape me for the first twenty minutes or so.

__

"A good editor should be able to go as many rounds as a writer needs to get his manuscript just right, though an inverse equation often rules: those books that require the most work may be the least improved by editing. ... The finest writers, often perfectionists, tend to require the least amount of the editor's time.  ... As the first editor I ever worked for said, after finishing his line-edit on a very fine biography that was eleven years in the making, 'It was like polishing silver.'"

___

"What goes on between a writer and an editor is as mysterious and alchemical as a marriage. ... Most [writers] have such deeply ambivalent feelings about what they deserve and how good they are that they are often bouncing between their desire for approval and fear of rejection. Then again, if they didn't struggle with issues of need, attention, disapproval, isolation, and social life, chances are they wouldn't be writers."
___

That's it. I have many other passages bookmarked, but these were the most quotable.

4 comments:

lora96 said...

I do the antisocial thing! (Should I be proud of that and use an exclamation point really? Aw what the hell!)

WHen my husband calls and I'm writing I'll give one words answers trying to school my errant brain to stay where it was in the sentence...he'll ask "Are you mad? What's wrong?"
I'm writing, I'll say. I'm not sure he gets it, that bizarre bone deep focus on something generally trivial (freelance about French headboard design anyone? characters in my romance eating Chinese food?).

Robena Grant said...

Excellent!
I'd heard of this book and then forgotten about it, so thanks so much. I will definitely pick it up.
Friends can tell when I'm deep into writing because my voice gets scratchy. It's like I forget to eat and drink, and I speak to nobody ignoring the phone, and then when it registers that I should pick up, I sound like they've just woken me up. Heh.
Writers! We're an odd bunch.

Delia said...

She has a fun blog, too. Her posts are poetic. Also, I'd like to go on record as saying that I have never been able to read Little Women in its entirety. I was too busy gagging. Seriously, even considering the time period, those characters made me stabby.

London Mabel said...

One of the funnest thing about joining the Betties has been joining a colony of writers. I only have one "real world" closer writer friend. Yay!

I never even read Little Women. After I saw the movie I just couldn't--Jo and her "writing about what she knows." Bah! However I did read an earlier trashy novel that Alcott wrote and it was, in parts, hilarious. Exactly the sort of trash Jo gave up writing.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}