QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, June 24, 2011

More of the purple Yoda

Less than 24 hours til Prince.

Yesterday I listed 10 things that Prince taught me. I guess I forgot the most obvious--he taught me what great music is. I think only Kate Bush taught me as much. I don't mean only their music is great music; I mean, listening to their music educated me. Not just the lyrics, but really the music. Like reading a great book makes me think, and strains my brain a bit, and stays with me, and changes me a little, and makes me seek out more great authors; Prince's music had the same effect. And of course, made me dance and sing get up and do my thing.

So tonight I'll continue to indulge myself, as I prepare for this Most Sacred Event  !!:-)!!  by posting some of the few Princey videos presently on the youtubes. Not the ones everyone knows, but some of the really good songs he's put out in the last 10 years. His albums aren't as consistently good, but each one contains gems.

"Guitar"
I love you baby
But not like I love this guitar!


"Colonized Mind" - this'll knock your sox off


"Dreamer"  - there's only a short clip of it


And something new I hadn't heard! "Laydown." Zowee. He calls himself purple Yoda!


This was his real comeback - "Musicology." I think Prince had all these rock fans with 1999 and Purple Rain, and then lost a bunch of them when he moved into funk and soul territory. Well... yes he was weaned on Zeppelin and Hendrix, but James Brown and Parliament-Funkadelic too! Not to mention Santana, Joni Mitchell, Duke Ellington... the only genre of music he's not likely to try is country.


"The Word." This song is straight up proselytizing, but it's lovely. All that's missing is the sex!


"Te Amo Corazón" & "Call My Name"
Prince hit his 40s and started writing the best love ballads of his career.  I don't think alpha males fall deeply in love until at least they reach that age at least.



Heartbreak songs, on the other hand, he's mastered since "When Doves Cry" and before. This is "I Love You But I Don't Trust You Anymore." I hope he plays it! It's jazzy and he's played it this year, so he might.


Something a little odder, from Camille (Prince's voice sped up, since the Sign O the Times album.) "Dance 4 Me." 


And some covers?
Joni's "A Case of You"


"Crimson and Clover"


Fun - Prince's vocal range.


Unrelated side point... if anyone needs proof that wearing heels all your life is bad for your feet, people are noticing that Prince often changes into flatter shoes these days. ;-)

     

3 comments:

widdershins said...

Come now Miss Mabel, its obvious you don't care for the purple one. Stop torturing yourself like this.

London Mabel said...

I'll probably have to leave that hula girl up, because my life shall now be measured in # of days since the Prince concert...

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the post - Prince blogpost!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}