QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Do you know what you're fighting for?

I love how singer-songwriter Janelle Monáe introduced one of the first singles off her current album (The ArchAndroid):
While listening to "Cold War," you may feel obligated or inclined to find your purpose. You may want to form a huge tribe to help fight against the many things that work against you being your true self, just the way you were uniquely designed. You may even begin to dance while thinking, with a furrowed brow. You may begin to feel an increased responsibility to helping others free themselves from depravity. 
Cold War
I'm trying to find my peace
I was made to believe there's something wrong with me
And it hurts my heart
Lord have mercy, ain't it plain to see?
This is a cold war
You better know what you're fighting for
This is a cold war
Do you know what you're fighting for?



Here's a little more Janelle...

Because I have to watch it every 6 months: Many Moons.
(Go to youtube and watch in hi def!)
And when you're growing down instead of growing up
Tell me are you bold enough to reach for love?


Sincerely, Jane - This is exactly the kind of performance that got people kicked off American Idol this season. Consistently. I'm finally washing my hands of that show--it's great for finding country stars, but not pop or rock.
Are we really living
Or just walking dead now?


      

5 comments:

Kat Phoenix said...

Great lyrics! Will definitely check this artist out though I can't watch the videos. (Stupid slow wireless)

Kristin said...

I love her.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

My laptop is being stupid right now and not playing the videos without constant interruption. I've never heard of her so I'll be back later to try again.

I don't watch American Idol. My brother does and he frequently mentions that this person or that person won or came in second or whatever. I have to say that to me, all their music sounds the same. Like they are all working from some formula that doesn't appeal to me. Male or female, it's all the same song with slightly different lyrics.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

My poor old tired laptop is just not going to play Sincerely Jane but I loved the first two. I need some of her on my i-POD. Thanks!

London Mabel said...

Pauvre slow connection! Pauvre old laptop! The video for Many Moons is so cool.

:'-(

lol


There was room for quite a bit of individuality of Am Idol this year, but the more unusual you get, the more likely you are to get voted off. Mostly the public votes for country music. That's pretty much my conclusion. I think we just need more reality music shows--smaller ones. So there's more variety. One show can't be everything to everyone.

Anyway. Enough of that. My next book is about the music industry, so I have way more opinions on this subject than is necessary.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}