QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The novel as plant

Just not a very good blogging month for me--too much else on my mind, I think. Oliver's weekly post will have to wait yet another day, cause I don't like to just throw him up here pell-mell.

In the meantime, here is a visual representation of Kerouac's On the Road. It's hard to read here, but the colors represent themes/subjects, and the stems are the chapters, paragraphs, sentences--ending with the flower tip word counts.

Click on them to see a bit bigger.


3 comments:

Judie said...

I woke up this morning berating myself for missing Oliver yesterday. It is a crazy week for me, but I'm trying to stay on top of things.

What I'm really saying is: I'm glad it is you and not me. ;)

Also that I'd rather wait and have the story told the way you'd want it to be and not just put up all pell-mall.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

What Judie said - no pell mell Oliver.
Love the finished picture! Once upon a time I thought I loved Kerouac. Then I discovered Diane di Prima.
Here's one of my favorites of hers:

Song for Baby-O, Unborn
By Diane di Prima

Sweetheart
when you break thru
you’ll find
a poet here
not quite what one would choose.


I won’t promise
you’ll never go hungry
or that you won’t be sad
on this gutted
breaking
globe


but I can show you
baby
enough to love
to break your heart
forever

London Mabel said...

Judie - LOL <-- real actual laugh out loud. Yes, c'est moi.

J,J,J - I've never even read Kerouac. But thanks for sharing this poem, it's beautiful.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}