QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pupcicle

We have a new roommate this weekend. We're sitting Fernando's friends' dog--a big lab-Saint-Bernard mix.
DAY 1
Minion's finally met her match. Even though she's generally a bold cat, she's not used to strange visitors, including furry ones. When Shooter first arrived she came out... her tail PUFFED... and then she arched her back! Just like those Halloween pictures of cats! It was very cute, wish I'd had my phone-cam. Now she's just hiding in a closet in my room. There were dogs where she lived as a baby, but it's over a year ago.

Haley's being the brave one. When Fernando took the dog on an apartment stroll, Haley just gave him a look that said: "This is not the cat you're looking for." Then she hid under the bed for awhile, but I sweet talked her, and she's come out twice to explore.

When Haley was at my mom's there were several little dogs. She'd wait til they were all asleep and then c-r-e-e-p across the floor between them all. She gets outshone by Minion's crazy antics, but when the rubber hits the road, she's got grit.

DAY 2
The kittehs were still total scaredy-cats Sat morning. But we brought them, one at a time, to the Kitteh Tower so they could see the dog. They didn't stay, but it seemed to help. When I took out some treats, Minion was so excited she deigned to eat them two feet from the Monster (who was sharing in the cat munchies) whereas last night she wouldn't even come down the hall for the same food.

It wasn't long after that, sitting again in the livingroom with Shooter, I saw this:
And then this, from the other side of the livingroom... (You can get to the livingroom from the hallway, or the kitchen.)

And once she saw he wasn't going to attack she got bolder...
The rest of the evening passed without much fuss. Minion relaxed and started to frolick and play again, and catch up on all the mischief and finger she missed while cowering in a closet.

Haley still kept her distance, but came as far as the sideboard in the entrance between the living room and kitchen.

DAY 3
The cats acted a bit skittish again this morning, I don't know why. But I made Haley eat her breakfast on the sideboard, and Minion's been acting normal.

I don't know what the turning point was for Minion. Maybe it was after she and Shooter ate cat niblets together, and she recognized a fellow kindred pig-out spirit.

Above is Shooter enjoying the Bullwinkle (bull penis) that Fernando bought him. Minion has her own small Bullwinkles.

...Though Minion likes her kong better--she's finally using the tougher red one I got her. Last night she was kicking it around the apartment like a misshapen soccer ball.

And that's it for the weekend animal drama. Shooter is an exceedingly polite dog, because he's a retired "Mira dog." Mira is the seeing-eye-dog charity in Montreal. So Shooter doesn't chew ANYthing, rarely barks, is very calm and obedient, and doesn't react to the cat he lives with. (Or to Minion taking swipes at his ear.)

IN OTHER NEWS:

Here's the beautiful quilted purse I bought from Urthalun-Betty (she's off on the other side of the continent, in Oregan.) Isn't it fabulous? It's really well made, and perfectly fits my purse organizer. It will be the perfect accompaniment to blue jeans.
And finally, some random Minion cuteness. Her specialty (after torturing fellow companion animals.)
(As I posted those photos, Minion started attacking Shooter's ear again. He LOOKed at her. She backed off. ...Now she's going for it again.
Have a nice week. Peace out.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Skimming past the kitties.....) So glad the bag found a good home!!! I actually made that one (specifically and precisely) for me, but it came out the wrong size for the purpose I had intended. Yipee that it fits the organizer so well!
Julie

Skye said...

Awesome pics and story! I love Minion's deciding to reach out for a reaction. Very funny.

Doesn't Julie do wonderful work?

nancy said...

What a beautiful dog! He reminds me of my [much missed] Rowdy, who was a black lab/chow mix. But rowdy, not like your extremely well-behaved guest at all.

And what a brave girl Minion is!! She's such a little imp, so funny. And adorable, too, of course.

I love watching cats as they decide they can handle having a dog in the house. So tell Haley she can come out now, Minion.

widdershins said...

Loved the, "React damn you!" ...kittehs live for the danger ... eventually!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

kittens and squirrels, always daring little devils - except my Bernie. He is ferocious when something that isn't supposed to be here invades his yard, though.

Love the beautiful bag.

Anonymous said...

great pics, shooter is adorable. as is Minion of course :-)

London Mabel said...

@ Urthalun - Ya sorry about cats. close-ups of MinionEspecially the ! - So I see we both have EXcellent taste in quilted bags. I really love the pieces, they remind me of china ware. Thanks again. :-)

@Skye - I forgot to mention she was flicking the dog's ear.

@nancy - I felt more sorry for Minion, it's very strange to see her scared. Whereas I've long suspected Haley likes being spooked-- Eg. she likes being chased after. If she were human I think she'd watch horror movies.

@ widder - Makes me think of the *poem* in FUBAR "Woman is a Danger Cat."

@J,J,J - Good for Bernie. My dad once saw my childhood cat (Ernie, coincidentally) chase from his yard the biggest dog in the neighborhood. Big as in = small horse.

@misskris - Animals are the best.

nancy said...

Forgot to mention: I love your sketch of the apartment and the kitty route.
So I guess you're loving your iPad, huh?
More sketches in future please, as you discover you've yet another medium at your disposal. A small comic strip one day, perhaps? That could be fun.

Judie said...

Awesome. Loved the photo's. Such a brave kitty. We introduced our dog (a lab mix)to the cats when he was but a pup. After the initial, what have you brought home now? They took over and trained him right. Now he thinks he's a big cat and even washes his face after he eats.

London Mabel said...

@ Nancy - I LOVE sketching on the ipad!! And handwriting too. Definitely one of the things I love most. And one of my hopes was to add more scribbles to mabeltalk.

@Judie - Washes his face? So cute! I read years ago of these people who had these huge facilities for stray cats, dogs etc. When they received a new dog they took him to the gigantic cat hanger, exposed him to their ire for a bit, and then took him out. Seemed to prevent any doggy-eats-kitty accidents. Sounds like that's what you did!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}