QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pad that ipad baby!

I finally received my ipad cover (it got stuck st customs). I have to confess it wasn't cheap :-o but I made the whole ipad purchase out of money I saved up and budgeted for such things. And I found a bluetooth keyboard for $25 instead of the $70 apple or zaggmate. It's made of plastic, but otherwise works beeootifully--it's so quiet and easy to type on and light. I purposely looked for something cheaper, to offset the case.

Anyway--enough about my guilt. The case was designed by etsy boutique JennJill Designs, at the specifications of a customer. I looked high and low at every ipad stand and case and stand/case and I tell you there's nothing like it out there. ...You can't even imagine how almost-literal that is. When I buy something like this, I research ennndlessly. Ridiculously so. I become totally determined to find the exact right product for myself.

The Best because:

- it's a stand, in 3 positions
- and a good protector (quilted, lined with plexiglass)
- with pockets
- a spot for a pen and a pad of paper (yes a tablet should replace a pen and paper, but what if you want to pass a note to someone? Battery runs out in crucial meeting?)
- easy to remove the ipad fast
- cloth: it grips your slacks, or the blanky on your lap, and is washable
- with a strap, so you can put your grocery list on it and carry it on your arm around the store; or when you reach your bus stop you can just hitch it up on your arm
- and finally, it's cute! I wanted something pretty, and not leather.

Check this out...
(My text gets cut off on the ipad app I've tried lately. Hmph! I was saying... you don't need to attach the buttons to hold it open in the above positions, cause the case sticks to itself. ;-)
The only critique I can give is that the elastics and pockets holding the ipad cover the screen corners a little. Possibly the ipad 2 is wider than the first ipad? It's not like she has models of all the electronics it's made for, so I'll just let her know. ;-)

Tonight I put on a movie and sewed the edge of the corners down, and sewed the elastics back a little, and now it's perfect. (Perfect except for my terrible stitches - luckily they're black.)

Well... that's all. I hope it doesn't seem like showing off my Conspicuous Consumption. It's rather that when something is well made, by a nice little business, I like to give props. (Next time I'll show you my purse organizer!) Jenn gave amazing customer service, as we discussed patterns, strap length and the printer cover. If you're ever getting an ipad, reserve a little extra budget for this perfect cover. ;-)

10 comments:

Judie said...

That is a good looking case, and very functional.

We all need a little Conspicuous Consumption now and again, and if Minion approves- it don't get no better than that.

nancy said...

That's a wonderfully well-thought-out iPad cover! I love the brocade fabric, I think the features are perfect.
And I love your sketches and notes, it seems you had so much fun doing them!
Altogether, I'm very happy for you that you got yourself the iPad and your wonderful iPad cover.
And Minion approves? Then we're all agreed: This was a great idea.

widdershins said...

That makes it unanimous!!!

The Merry said...

That cover is much more snazzy than the one I have for my Lil'ipad. I am impressed :)

Anonymous said...

I love it when beauty & usefulness go hand in hand. That's my kind of conspicuous consumption.
It's me Judy, btw. I'm cleverly disguised because Blogger doesn't like me today.

Jennifer Jill Araya said...

My goodness, what an amazing review! I couldn't be happier that you're so pleased with your iPad Cover/Stand and with the Keyboard pouch. I had a great time working with you to get the cover just right. :) Thank you so much!

-Jennifer from <a href="http://www.JennJillDesigns.com/>JennJill Designs</a>

PS - I'm definitely going to be linking to your blog from my blog later today. This post just brought a HUGE smile to my face. :)

Aluwings said...

That's the most versatile and well-designed iPad case I've ever seen - and I searched out a ton of them and failed to find "the great one." ... until Zagg finally built it but for the iPad2 !! D'OH!

Can I get a "manly" Denim one do you think? mmmm....

WORD VERIFICATION: condisms - somewhere between condescensension and sarcasm ... there is condism?

London Mabel said...

Well if you guys approve, because Minion approved, then I'm good! (And yes Nancy, I did have fun drawing all over those pics. ipad = toy)

@Jenn - Your welcome, but it was my pleasure to happy-rant about it!

@Aluwings - She has a choice of fabrics, but you can ask for substitutions too. I'm sure something Manly could be worked out. ;-)

...Awesome word verification.

Ojibwe Confessions said...

Would you recommend ordering from the U.S.? I am thinking of purchasing one for my wife for xmas. What do you think? Also have started on your book re: FN's? Thanks Steve

London Mabel said...

Hi Steve!

Shipping it to Canada wasn't too expensive, but it did get stopped at the border, and about $20 of border fees that I had to pay at Canada Post. So in the end the cover is not cheap, lol.

(Also, if she has a cat, I don't recommend the black color. It shows ALL the hair!!)

I haven't started writing the book yet, I'm still trying to work the plot out. And still researching / trying to get a feel for things. Started reading "Me Funny" by Drew Hayden Taylor, which is essays about Native humor (like you've written about on your blog!)

Thanks for asking. :-)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}