QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, October 3, 2011

Swiss cat sitting

So the last couple weeks I was chez Swiss Girl. Every year I cat sit for her for a week or two and it's always nice to see my neice-ee and nephew. (Do you even miss other people's cats and dogs and birds when you leave them after a stay? I do.)

Swiss Girl and I met in grade 7 and we've been friends ever since--26 years. She's a very easy-going person, so we find it relaxing to be friends with each other. We can be honest, we can cancel plans just because we're feeling lazy or it's too rainy outside--it's all very low on the Drama Meter.

I was looking at some of her old photos while I was there and photographed these two. Swiss Girl grew up in Canada, but both her parents are Swiss and as you can see she's very proud of her heritage.
 

  This photo was taken on one of her Switzerland trips (around 18 years old here). I didn't find any iconic mountain photos, mostly pics of her with relatives.



She and her hubby take lots of little trips (no they're no wealthy, it's all budget budget budget) and this time they went to Switzerland again. So here you go--Swiss Girl with Swiss mountains.


An elderly woman once told me she tried to keep at least one friend from each phase of her life, which is an idea I love. It is nice to have a friend who knew you when you were 12. Looking through the old high school photos was hi-lar-ious. And weird, like remembering the high school boyfriend who cheated on her--guys start young with this BS don't they? And then the photos of her college-age headbanger boyfriend. They had the greatest apartment, because on the walls were her cross-stitch projects, and his dark paintings. Man they were an odd couple.

Come to think of it, last time I ran into both of those guys, they had become fathers. High School Guy was about to have a child (but had ducked out to see The Phantom Menace premiere), and the other was with his little girl and looked awkward as hell to be talking to me. I don't know if that's because he never really liked me, or just because their relationship ended badly. (Did he cheat too? I don't remember. There was a lot of drama.)

Back to my kitty-niece-nephew. I bring them toys and treats, so now when I arrive I get a very warm greeting. Even from Sue Ellen, who clearly wasn't handled by people as a kitten cause she acts like a feral cat. I can't pick her up, but every year she gets closer to me, and more affectionate. (She's a very food motivated cat.) In this pic to the left, you see how every time I pet her she's half enjoying, half wary looking. Ready to escape my evilness at any moment.



JR, on the other hand, is a regular ole sweetie, cuddle-puss. Also as active and nutty as Minion, though less trouble-making because his mother says he hasn't quite got Da Brainz.

This pic is him saying hello when I arrived. (Oh yes, now that I have a cell phone and ipad, the photos--they multiply fast!)


I don't know what this look means. Check out the devil ears!

Warily sitting far off...

Proof that sometimes she came near. 

JR has a little fortress in the corner of the sofa, it's so funny.

And this is what I saw from Suzy, every time I passed through the kitchen.
If I was late in feeding them their treats I'd hear her from up in the kitchen.
"Menows? Hallos? Auntie!!"

Whereas JR was usually just being sociable.
He's a little shadow.



Here it was close to feeding time, so JR started breaking house rules to get my attention. Sitting on the table, and then scratching the upstairs couch.  I had to chase hm off the table about 7 times. I told you he's a lot like Minion.



"When will you feed me next? Can't you see I'm dying?"



I didn't bring toys from home, so I had to pick some up at Loblaw's. They mostly had Hartz, which I don't even like. This fish on a pole looked to be the most promising, but I forgot to put it away one day and Suzy--I'm convinced--at the string. Have you ever been faced with killing your best friend's cat? OMG. One of the most stressful nights I had all year. Thank-you to Ms Brownlow for taking all my panicked emails.

Neither of the cats ever showed signs of being sick, so my vet said to just watch them. Ms Brownlow's convinced Suzy hid it somewhere. I'm convinced she's got a bouncy string sitting in her stomach. Or that she chewed it up into tiny pieces and pooped it past me.

Looking soulfully out the blinds--which her peoples thoughtfully leave open.

JR's scratch pad was worn out, so I turned it over to the fresh side. He then spent most of the time sitting on it.

I noticed Suzy liked sitting on blankets, and often sleeps in the living room. So I left my jogging pants and sweater out for her the rest of the time.


I came home on Tuesday to feed my kitties so Fernando could go out after work. The first time I went on vacation Haley sulked me for two months--wouldn't come sit on me for cuddles. The next time it was a month. But this time she didn't sulk at all, came right over for a long cuddle. And this weekend too. So she now understands that when I disappear for a couple weeks, she shouldn't worry.

"La Mahmmy can't live without moi."

But it was my and Minion's first parting, and since she follows me around I didn't know how she'd take it. She did bond with Fernando, finally (that's what happened with Haley too the first time.)

Minion was sitting up on the shelf by the door when I walked in, and I held out my arms to her and she leapt in. "Mahmmy! You've returned!" And this weekend she's been on me constantly--has worn out three sucky-fingers.

 

My first night back, I was watching TV and she was napping. She woke up and I guess she went "Oh my days, I forgot--Mahmmy is here!" Because she came trotting over to me making her little meowee-affection noises -- "Mmmeoow meow meow Mahmmy!!" -- and flung herself at me.

Tsk tsk... who says dogs are more affectionate?

Haley likes to stick her face in my mouth and sniff.
Or maybe it's her lion-tamer act.

 "So you came back eh?"

"We expect compensatory treats for our emotional distress."
 Alright, that's it for the kitty pics.


     

8 comments:

nancy said...

That second picture of JR, where you weren't certain what the expression meant? That's JR working on his Minion-esque plans. Ya gotta work with what brainz ya got. [I think he looks lovely. All the cats look beautiful.]

That last picture of Minion: True love. Wonderful.

I'm glad all's well with all the kitties.

And you have jogging pants? You jog? Or do you just like having pants you can call jogging pants?

Skye said...

Love the kitteh pics! Kitteh love is awesome.

Swiss Girl said...

JR and Suzy already miss their autie!!!!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I love your commentary almost as much as I love the cat pics.

Thanks for the nice words you said about Hungry Ghosts. It makes me feel all mushy inside.

If I ever figure out how to work and write in the same life time, I plan on doing it again. Romcom with a demolition derby driving heroine this time!

widdershins said...

cat inside your mouth, sniffing! ... hilariously gross!!! What if you burped or something?

London Mabel said...

@nancy - Ahem, I do not believe that jogging is a prerequisite for owning jogging pants. heh heh heh. But no, they're more like flannel warmy pants.

And you're right, that must have been when JR cooked up the scheme to sit on the dining room table. That's about as naughty as he's able to get!

@Skye - When you're right, you're right.

@Swiss Girl - I miss them too! My little once-a-year family.

@J,J,J - I am looking forward to the demolition derby, indeed!

@widder - lol She thought it up, not me! But I've never burped on her, if that reassures you. A lot of cats like breath-sniffing, I've realized, but she's the only one who really needs to stick her head right in! So weird.

Maggie said...

Mah! That last pick of Minion, she looks like she's sucking her own thumb. Is very cute.

London Mabel said...

I know! It's too much.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}