QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Has the internet become less bastardly?

For awhile I've been wanting to go through my old posts and see what's of value in there. I figure, while I'm at it, I might as well re-post a few.

I was happy to discover that the site bastardly.com, which I talked about in my first post on July 31, 2007, is no longer bastardly. It seems to have changed from a site that makes fun of celebrities to just another star-gazer site. I had originally linked to pictures they had posted of Sandra Oh, and some nasty comments:

...what with the plethora and popularity of "Gawd you guys are like SO ugly ha ha HA!" sites right now, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have an anti-fugly blog. I have a sense of humour, and I like seeing weird clothes too, but a lot of this stuff is so brutal it makes me a bit sick to my stomach.
Example: bastardly (don't ask me how I even come across these sites!) goes after Sandra Oh so much, it smacks of desperation. (Which of course also feels creepily racist.)

The link isn't dead, but it's just a bunch of photos from an award show; there's one of Oh and no nasty comments. ...Can it be? Are there some corners of the internet that have become less nasty in the last 5 years? Hey, we saw Perez turn over a new leaf, so who knows.
    

2 comments:

widdershins said...

Yep, Perez turning nice was one of those gobssmacked-ness moments of the decade!

... on a completely different note; last night I finally got to watch, 'Librarian: quest for the Spear'!

It wasn't half bad! A lightweight made-for-television version of Indiana Jones meets 'National Treasure'.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I wish I thought this was true.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}