QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Writing Comedy: The Moderns


My favorite scene from The Moderns, about American expats in 1920s Paris. I've been told it's not funny unless you're watching the movie. Well... bah! Here it is anyway!!


* Oiseau (Wallace Shawn) has decided to fake his own suicide to get out of his contract.
* Nick Hart (Keith Carradine) is trying to get Rachel back, and hates the man she's with, Stone. They recently boxed and Stone won.
* Hemingway is writing a book.




Oiseau: Writing about yourself can be very lonely!

Nick: What are you writing?

Oiseau: It's my obituary. It's too important a task to leave to those hacks in the obituary department.

Nick: Oiseau why don't you just quit the goddamn paper?

Oiseau: Now this'll interest you--I've decided on poison! Drowning was my second choice. I mean, ha! It's much better than asphyxiation. I saw a man once who'd been hung; he looked a bit... disappointed.

Nick: You can't kill yourself Oiseau we're going to Hollywood.

[Hemingway joins them.]

Hemingway [to Nick]: I'm gonna tell you why Carlos beat you in the ring a couple days ago.

Nick: Who?

Hemingway: Carlos--Stone. I'm working on something, it doesn't matter.

Nick: Right, let's have it.

Hemingway: Scruples.

Nick: Scruples.

Hemingway: Scruples. You can't win Andrea with scruples.

Nick: Who?

Hemingway: Andrea--Rachel, forget it. I'm sitting there watching him waltz around you like he owns you--

Nick: He doesn't own me. He does not own me. He thinks just because he buys something he owns it. It's all the same to him: a piece of ass, a piece of property, it's all about ownership. He doesn't own me, he doesn't own Rachel, and he never will.

Hemingway: Hey, guys like that are bad for all of us, Clark.

Nick: Nick.

Hemingway: Nick.

Oiseau: Who? -- You know writing about yourself can be very lonely!

Hemingway: What are you writing?

Oiseau: It's my obituary. It's too important a job to leave to those hacks in the obituary department.

Hemingway: Why don't you quit that goddamn paper like I did?

Oiseau: Now this'll interest you--I've decided on pills.

Nick: He doesn't own me.

Hemingway: Who?

Nick: Stone.

Hemingway: Carlos.

Oiseau: Who?



What Makes It Funny:


* Oiseau contemplating his own obituary.
* Repetition ("He doesn't own me!" "Writing about yourself can be very lonely!")
* Hemingway getting people's names wrong, cause he's clearly "writing about what you know" - putting his friends into his novel. And this confusing Oiseau.

Well, sorry if that doesn't do it justice. Sometimes I just need to write these things on my blog.

     

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

And these things are why I love your blog. A little adventure into your psyche.

Skye said...

A bit surreal. I liked it. I like that you like it so well. As J,J,J, said, "A little adventure into your psyche."

Hope you're doing well, darlin'. Take carel

nancy said...

I love this post, particularly the Hemingway bit, and I'm not even a writer.

widdershins said...

What's life without a little surrealism every now and then!

London Mabel said...

When I was a teen (and really, right up into my 20s) I wrote most of my novels about my friends. I made everyone 30 and tossed them on a ship, or transposed them into the Middle Ages, and wrote my books. And then I always had a willing audience to read them!

So where Hemingway is talking about his friends, but mixing up their names with his characters--that joke was a perfect hit for me back when my brother and I discovered this film. :-) Thanks for indulging me!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}