QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, August 4, 2012

My little room among the misty isles

This is my little room Chez Parents. Not really a garret... more like a hotel room. Le Hotel Parentahj. These are pics from when I was here in March.

This is Gunny, whom my step-mother picked up in Scotland. (Gunn is the Scottish line of my dad's family.) She brought him out when I was feeling homesick. You can see he settled in with a good book.

Here's the 7 PM intense sun bath. The sun sets on this side of the house.

The other bed serves as my side table.

I don't have this little desk setup anymore, cause the house is now on the market for sale. Kind of a pain to bring the wheelie chair back downstairs if there's a visit. But I miss it. Very comfortable.

Bookshelf just waiting for me to fill it!

A stormy night.

View from my little desk.

The setting sun.

The misty outlines of the islands around here always make me think of the Bruce Cockburn song: 
Rain forest. Mist and mystery. Teeming green.

Today when I took my walk I came across a teeny park, just a staircase down to the ocean. It was a windy day so the water looked like it was shimmering and hopping about; the waves were splashing loudly against the rocks and pushing around a few logs that must have escaped the loggers. I sat down on the grass and did my daily meditation.



If you've never heard Cockburn's "If a Tree Falls" do yourself a favor. He was one of the best political songwriters of the 70s - 90s. Really poetic writer, and fantastic guitarist.

This is something other
Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
Where wild things have to go
To disappear
Forever

6 comments:

Skye said...

What's with all the parental moving? Will these ones still have a room for you and your desk setup? What a situation for you: being away from home and out of your element, then having to make things be all tidy and show-ready! Are you guys doing any of that staging like they do on home shows? You'd have to put away a lot.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that your next room is even better (I mean, how much better can it get than a pic of mountains and water?). So or at least as good.

widdershins said...

Bruce Cockburn song - beautiful ... never heard of him before ... thanks for the tip .... .... loved the phrase, 'Methane dispensers'.

I checked out some videos of him ... he's got this John Denver-ish look about him, I think.

Julie said...

Oh be still my heart the viewwwwwwww!

Kate George/Bodacious Betty said...

I so miss living in the North West when I see these pictures. Did I tell you my brother lives in powell river? I guess I need to go take pictures of where I live so i can remember how beautiful it is here.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I will be so glad when Mercury is direct again. I swear I made a comment here already.
I don't remember what I said but - your room looks nurturing. Love the views.
Where will you go if their house sells? Are you tired of moving or are you part gypsy like me? Any job leads?
Like the BC song!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - The house is always a step away from being staged. Things just need to be stashed. The way my room is now I have one desk to put away, but no chair. And my "bedside table" things i keep in my little suitcase, open on the bed. Just need to zip up! I don't mind. My life is all about *living on the fly* right now, no commitments, no plans.

@widders - Glad you liked! He's a Canadian institution. I'll have to put up my fave songs one day.

@Julie - Yeah it's pretty nuts.

@Kate - I didn't know your bro was still up here. :-) You do write very well about Vermont, though--to show off its beauties.

@JJJ - (a) My folks will keep letting me stay with them. If they find a place with a suite, then I'll move in there and when I get a job pay the rent to them. (b) Not tired of moving. Both my parents moved a lot as I grew up (and after) so I am comfortable doing that. It's nice to have a settled life sometimes, but it's just not in the cards right now, so I'm go with the flooow. (c) No job leads. Will let you know! (Or at least, on bettyfacebook.)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}