QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ballerina bodies

I like to have one book that I'm e-reading, cause I don't have a bedside lamp here. And I want to lie in bed in the dark and read a bit til I feel sleepy. So I'm not laying awake thinking of my problems. I sped-finished A Princess Bride. I didn't find it as hilarious as when I was 17. I needed another book, and decided to start the newer Malcolm X biography. Fascinating dude.


In other book news... so many great looking books I'll never have time for. Like this new one on ballerinas. Here are some quotes from an article on it:


"A great lover of dance, Kelly admires ballerinas for their immense talent and artistry, but sees behind the scenes a world plagued by anorexia, sexual abuse, low pay and poor working conditions." 

“I think you need first a new aesthetic. You need to get [the ballerina] back to her own shape. I think you have to allow her to be a woman. I am heartened by the presence of the likes of Misty Copeland in American Ballet Theatre. She’s black, she’s busty…that is her natural body.” 

Kelly dates the huge rise in anorexia among ballerinas to the influence of George Balanchine. ... “1963, George Balanchine the great Russian-born choreographer got the all-important Ford Foundation grant,” Kelly said. “He’s able finally to create ballet in his own vision. His vision included a ballerina who was long of limb, lean of frame, tall, narrow hips and a small head – the proverbial pinheads is what the critics used to call them.”

    (CBC)

4 comments:

Judie said...

I fall alseep with my kindle too. Sometimes, literally. ;)

Robena Grant said...

I love reading on the Kindle, but last night for some weird reason, I pulled Cotillion, by Georgette Heyer off my bookshelf. I'm thoroughly enjoying the re-read.

widdershins said...

Malcolm X was/is indeed a fascinating bloke.

I loved that a ballet dancer won the women's side of 'So You Think You Can Dance' this year. And she wasn't a skinny anorexic thing either. (I was hoping Aliana and Cheon would win right from the time they made the top 20!)

London Mabel said...

@Judie - You should embed it in a teddy bear.

@Robena - Oooh Cotillion! I especially love old second hand books from the 60s, with a crumbling spine...

@widdershins - I watched the beginning of So You Think so I probably saw them. But don't recognize their names! Need to go back and figure out who they were.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}