QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Recommends: Old movies on youtube

On Sunday I was "lying in bed just like Brian Wilson did" (Barenaked Ladies.) That is to say, pretty much spent the whole day in bed being depressed. So I watched some old movies that people have snuck onto the youtube. (For the record I felt better by Monday.) I've provided the links, but they might be dead soon.

This movie doesn't really have a plot... just a string of comedic set pieces. Mostly of Grant and Sheridan fighting, and then him having to sleep somewhere uncomfortable. The war bride bit doesn't come til the last 1/4 of the film. It was watchable cause it was witty, but... weird movie. Sheridan's pretty mean to Grant throughout. (Watch here.)


Another weird one. Dietrich is a performer, who one day comes across an abandoned baby and decides to keep it. She needs a husband in order to legally adopt the baby, and so takes on MacMurray. Then there's the Misunderstanding--the kind that could be solved by conversation--and then the bebby brings them back together. Weird. Not much chemistry, but Dietrich was quite adorable. No idea what the title means. (Watch here.)

This was much more standard screwball stuff--a semi Cinderella story. Colbert and Ameche are both poor and fall in love at first meet. But she wants to marry rich, and gets whisked away by a rich dude who wants her to seduce his wife's lover away from the wife. Meanwhile Ameche is trying to find her everywhere, and when he shows up -- silliness ensues. I would recommend this one of the three. And John Barrymore was really funny in it. (Watch here.)
     

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I have so much trouble watching movies. I streamed that one the other day. Planned on watching the actual netflix movie I have here but didn't get to it.
I just can't commit to the time even though I'll waste in some other way, so why not?
Glad you feel better.

Skye said...

Glad you're feeling better, and that you live with people who will check on you to make sure you are okay. That's important, too.

You take care of yourself.

Judie said...

Sorry you were down :(
Glad you are feeling better.

widdershins said...

"I Was A Male War Bride" Loved it - Cary Grant in drag. Priceless!

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - I often feel like I can't commit to a movie, so I watch a TV show instead. But then watch 2-3 episodes in a row! So I decided to make myself watch some films.

@Skye - Thanks. Yes, my dad pokes his head in my bedroom to make sure I haven't gone out the window. (Do you watch Woody Allen movies? There's this ongoing thing where if someone wants to commit suicide they just "go out the window." Leave a note that says: Gone out the window. (Don't worry I'm not suicidal. I just like the joke.)

@Judie - Merci!

@widders - Funny movie. Grant was such a great comedian. But weird, weird.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}