QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Photo Essay: Tidy tidy tidy...

When I got back to Nanaimo, from my mum's, I had a cold. I was a tired-ee. And then I became a bit of a depressedy. So my room was a total mess! I try to keep things tidy, even more so to respect my parents' Extremely Tidy Home than for myself. But I... just... couldn't...

I finally tidied up today. 
 Here's my little Home Away from Home.

My closet--hard to hang up clothes cause the dresser's in there. I keep miscellaneous things in the top drawer, and then clothes in the rest.

Here's my team. Gunnee, Crabby, Wonder Woman in battle gear, Oscar Wilde, and the Elephant Raja.

My organization system, based on the Getting Things Done system. It might be too complicated, but I'll just adjust as I go.

Tickler = things I'll need in coming months. Eg. A wedding invite tucked under the month when the wedding takes place, so that it's there waiting for me in that month. Real tickler files go day-by-day but my life isn't that busy yet.

Reference = my reference files in here

Someday/Maybe = ideas, homes, thinks

Projects = folders that don't need to be checked every day, but are the projects I'm working on. For example, the binder with my novel notes.


My folders. Money, taxes, health, paperwork (incl stamps, envelopes)... 

The next part of the organization system is that you take the things that need doing soon, and you put them into Contexts. I only have two context folders in my room.

One is this little colorful box of things that need to go downstairs. Right now overflowing.

The other is for things I need to do on the computer... or sitting in bed, these days...


My computer desktop has the same sorts of folders...



And on my ipad too. This is where most of my "contexts" are kept. Calls to make, emails to send, waiting for, errands...



Here is where I work when I don't sit at my little desk. Trucker Fernando is modeling.

This is my "side table." All the cables I need, all the books I'm reading, my pills etc. Then if there's a house sale visit I just have to zip up my bag and my room's all clean.

And finally my little table... 

...my little view. This week it's been full of fog in the mornings! Looks like I'm flying! 

Oh, it's dissipating a bit...

And finally, here is moi.
      

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Ah it looks like a comfy space. You are far, far, far more organized and tidy than I am. Trucker Fernando is cute.

ladada said...

So organized... What have you done with the real Mabel!!???

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - If you turn his hat around, then he's Skater Fernando!

@ladada - Hey! I may have always been messy, but I've always liked to be organized! There's a difference you know. Maybe not to a father's eye, but there's a difference!

Skye said...

Nicely done. It can be hard to fit an adult life into one single room and you've done an awesome job. I especially like the purple bag that can be closed and ta da! Instant readiness for room to be viewed!

I like your Team, too.

widdershins said...

I like organised/messy too. Occasionally I go nutso and tidy everything, but within 24 hours it's back the way it was.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}