QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Best Writers' Rules (Part 3)


Michael Morpugo: By the time I sit down and face the blank page I am raring to go. I tell it as if I'm talking to my best friend or one of my grandchildren.

Andrew Motion: Let your work stand before deciding whether or not to serve.
Joyce Carol Oates: Keep a light, hopeful heart. But ­expect the worst.
Will Self: You know that sickening feeling of inadequacy and over-exposure you feel when you look upon your own empurpled prose? Relax into the awareness that this ghastly sensation will never, ever leave you.
Colm Tóibín: No going to London.
Rose Tremain: Forget the boring old dictum "write about what you know". Instead, seek out an unknown yet knowable area of experience that's going to enhance your understanding of the world and write about that.
Sarah Waters: Writing fiction is not "self-­expression" or "therapy". Novels are for readers, and writing them means the crafty, patient, selfless construction of effects. 
James Joyce: Write it damn you, what else are you good for?
And finally, from Shakespeare's Top Ten Rules O' WritingIf ye suffer from block, have your mistress take up the quill while you cane opium and give her daughter goodly tup. If ye be nabbed, claim research.

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Well okay then. Definitely some interesting quotes there.

Delia said...

That Shakespeare. Always with his mind in the gutter.

Skye said...

These were fun. I especially liked Shakespeare cuz he's such a rude, gutter-minded writer sometimes. But funny.

Always claim research for whatever you do, for you are a writer and writers are always thinking of their current or next piece. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I remember having moments of great sadness and tears rolling down my face and thinking to myself "I must remember this so I can use it in my writing."

widdershins said...

Billy Shakespeare ... *shakes head*

London Mabel said...

You gotta read the whole "Shakespeare" article, it's qite funny.

2. Makest thou heroine a maiden as young as is strictly legal.

7. Ne’er miss a chance for identity mistook, for such wrangling be good for fifty page or more. If they be cross-dressers, ye’ll get a whole tale.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}