QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, October 15, 2012

Yes, I am saying this, AGAIN

Freaks and Geeks has appeared on Netflix! 

 

So it's time for me to push it again. It's about high school in the early 80s from the perspective of a group of freshmen nerds, and an older girl trying to fit in with the stoner bad kids.

OMFG I loved this show. When I met friends Maewitch and Onthatmidnightstreet, learning that each other loved this show was like a by-word for Great Taste. Our friendship was certain. The show starts off as just mild and amusing, but it gets funnier and deeper as it goes along. And the writers knew they were getting canned so they finished the season off with closure, and a brilliant--brilliant--game of Dungeons and Dragons featuring Carlos the Dwarf.

I even lent this show to my (ex) tough-guy Italian boss and he died over the episode where they play murder (dodge) ball in gym class, cause he was that asshole throwing really hard balls at the other kids. You will recognize yourself, your friends, your old schoolmates. You will love these characters. And with the storylines about being a geek, and bullying, it was really before it's time--I don't think it would have been cancelled today.

Also, before there was Napoleon Dynamite and Ellen Page and New Girl, there was another weirdo who accepted himself just as he was: Bill Haverchuck! Any guy who dresses us as the Bionic Woman for Halloween is my kinda guy.



And Jason Segel is painfully excellent as the Rush-loving-wannabe-drummer.


People Who Started Here:

Paul Feig, creator - later wrote for The Office and a bunch of other comedies, and directed Bridesmaids.

Judd Apatow, producer - Later produced/wrote/directed 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, etc. But don't worry, this isn't gross-out-comedy.






 

7 comments:

Kris said...

going to see if I can get this show here now.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Okay I wasn't interested enough to try it until you said the magic words - James Franco. Now I am so there.

Kris said...

Just watched the first episode...I think i'm in love. Thanks for the recommendation

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Franco is super cute in this. And his character arc is really poignant.

@Kris - I'm so glad! I just rewatched it too. I love the guidance counselor. In Hart of Dixie news, I'm all caught up. [Don't read the rest of this comment if you aren't. It's spoilery. Just suffice it to say, I love all these romances.]



If Wade and Hart don't end up together-together, I'll understand (sniff) cause it's hard to dislike what-his-face. BUT. If they do that, they better write us in a really fabulous character for Wade to fall in love with! And meanwhile I'm so excited Levon and Lemon will be working together!! I feel like they dropped that storyline, and I SO love them together. They're my favorite potential couple of all.

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Oh, also, it might be appropriate to watch with your granddaughter. Depending on her maturity and such. The "geeks" are, I believe, her age. (12?)

Kris said...

Have now finished watching this. Bill Haverchuck is my new hero! And you're right about being able to relate to the characters...I was Lindsay.

Also, I am also caught up on Hart of Dixie and agree with you completely on all points :-)

London Mabel said...

Bill is the best.

I was teased by girls exactly like Kim.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}