QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The New Job

So, my new job.

I got hired in a full-time temporary position at a chain thrift store (one that funds a charity.) I had resigned myself to getting a retail job when I saw the posting--surprised cause I thought these places were run solely by volunteers.

Just as I was doing the orientation for the job, the hospital called me about a casual scheduling job. I did go for the testing, just in case--scored over 90% on a version of Office I've never used (one where they made big changes to the interface), on Excel, Word and whatever the email-calendar program is called, which I'd never used before. (My secret? Internets research of course! Plus being raised on computers, I guess.)

Anyway. That job is double minimum wage, though I would have been on-call I don't know how long. Plus hospitals are stressful places to work these days--cuts, cuts, cuts. Lots of bitter people. Still, I wasn't sure that I was right in choosing the thrift store. As I wandered the mall to buy jeans, steel toed boots, and orthotic liners, I finally had to sit on a bench and THINK. And in the end I thought about my job coach, and Holland's hexagon.

[click to enlarge more]




Of course we all have personality traits from all of these categories, but quizzing generally reveals a couple that take precedence. Since high school mine have always been artistic-social. Holland's idea is that you'll be most comfortable in jobs that hit your sweet spot; as your move to the left or right, you'll be progressively less comfortable, so that your "opposite" careers are more likely on the opposite side of the hexagon. In my case, conventional-realistic.

Retail peon falls within Social, and retail manager falls within Enterprising, which is why I was able to do the job but it wasn't a perfect fit. Hospital scheduler I'm fairly certain is Conventional. So I sat on the bench and thought: My job coach would predict that I'd be happier in the less-paying-thrift-store job.

On top of which it's for a charity, which appeals to my ethical side--something that also scores high on my personality tests. And as far as retail jobs go, it's pretty good. We're always closed Sundays and stat holidays, which means you can make plans in advance (my old job was open almost every day of the year). We're only open 9-5:30, which are my exact work hours (old job had shifts from 6 AM to 11 PM.) It's unionized. There are very few dress code rules (old job had a 3-page guide.) No ugly uniform.  And lots of interesting crap, if you like second hand stuff (as I do.)

Everyone I've met so far, at every store, is really nice. They train well, and they're easy-going with newbieness. There are no moody people--you know those people who walk around looking grumpy, at totally random times, and you don't want to ask them anything. My co-workers are really even tempered. They know all the regulars, joke with them, are kind to them. And the bosses give positive feedback.

At first I was trained on sorting, pricing and placing stuff. Now I'm on cash, where I think he might be leaving me. There's always work to do behind the cash, so the time goes fast; and the customers are cool. I'm on the same old fashioned cash I used when first trained at a mall bookstore! We don't do refunds, so it's all fairly simple. Plus, having done 15 years retail, I have a lot of self-confidence so I felt comfortable from day one.

So there you go. It's just above min wage (which thankfully is $10.25), but I've no complaints so far. I'm burning calories being on my feet all day, and the tootsies haven't killed me 'cause I bought Superfeet which ROCK. I'm also finding that, either because of my personal stress, or the headache drugs I take, I'm kind of scatter-brained. So I've realized it's good to be in a job where if I make a mistake it means placing a short-sleeved shirt in the long-sleeved section. Because you aren't purchasing inventory like in a regular store, there's less precision involved in everything--merchandising, pricing, putting stuff under the right category in the register, etc.

Okies. ...Sleepy now. Night!

10 comments:

Simone said...

Sounds great! Glad you are enjoying it!

Skye said...

Congrats on the job! Glad it's a job that fits with your personality and work style. I should take a test like that to figure out what my style is, but I'm pretty sure it's in Artistic pretty much all the way. Maybe a little toward social. Thanks for sharing that with us and the information about it.

Hope they love you so much that they give you a raise soon! :)

BrotherPaul said...

Superfeet are better than other generic insoles? (Asks one person who works on his feet all day to another)

Judie said...

It sounds like a fun place to work. I love 2nd hand stuff.

inkgrrl said...

That does sound like a great choice! Brava!

widdershins said...

Bravo!!! ... and time to write as well!

Julie said...

Big congratulations on the new gig! I love all the positives you listed, and bonus points for it being charity based.
Plus: second hand shit, the ultimate in recycling.

Also, yay for my NaNo frogs!

London Mabel said...

Thanks everyone!!

@Pablo - Yes, they're better. I read about them on amazon, podiatrists often recommend them when their patients can't afford orthotics. They're just $40. My feet still start to get sore around 3 or 4 PM, but not in that unbearable OMG I'm gonna die how will I finish this shift!! way. Which I did experience at the bookstore when I went back to floor work.

And when I started this job the other women I started with all complained about their sore feet, whereas I felt fine.

So they're worth a try. And you get your money back if they don't work. I got mine at Sport Check. There seems to be a Sport Mart carrying them, right around the corner from your work. I got the green ones, which are supposed to be good for this kind of foot-work. But it says people with flat feet might need to wear the blue ones.

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Blue.aspx

(And some people find them uncomfortable at first, in which case you only wear them a few hours at a time.)

http://www.superfeet.com/find-dealer/DealerSearch.aspx#

yally said...

Congrats Mabel!

London Mabel said...

Ta!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}