QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Nano or Not to Nano? That is the October question...

Every October writers across the land ask themselves: Should I do Nanowrimo this year?

I love Nanowrimo. For those not *in the know* it's National Novel Writing Month. A free online event where you sign up to say you'll try to write 50 000 words in one month. You "win" simply by completing. (You upload your book to their word count machine, so of course you could cheat. But why do that?)

My Nano profile (blue = participated, purple = won.) 

My brother first heard of it and we both successfully participated in 2002.


I later did 2008, 2009 and 2010. (I went back to school from Sep 2003 - May 2008. Can you tell?) I get excited every October when Nano talk is in the air. It feels like the coming of a holiday.






I'm not sure whether to join in this year. I've got a job now, so I can guilt-free spend the time writing. And it's the first time I've got regular hours, so I could, in theory, get enough sleep. No cats or husband to neglect (shniff).

Every year I get off to a late start and then write like a fool the second half of the month. Which is fun. But not recommended. I know I'm capable of writing 2000/day cause I did it this past spring when I joined JJJ's writing group. First time I wrote the equivalent of a Nanowrimo at an even pace.

Guess I should make the forum /blog rounds and see who else is participating, cause it would be my first Nano year actively involved with writerly pals. I know one frog who must be doing Nano... let's go check her blog... Yep! Good ole Miss Steps. She's a Nano queen.
     

8 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Hey you - did you get a package of fudge yet?

Skye said...

You got a job? I missed that part. What, where, when? Do you like it? How nice to be employed. Is this a just-for-now job or a to-keep job?

Yes, I am nosy. I'm a writer.

Judie said...

Ahaha Nano Queen. I think I like that. ;)

You really rocked it at Chocolate Boot Camp.

widdershins said...

What? One can write to a regular schedule? Not feel pressured when deadlines loom? ... I think I just epiphanated! :O

Sounds like you're feeling a little chipper-er. Hope everything is going OK for you.

You getting any snow over there yet? My sky keeps promising, but not delivering. I hear the snow is heavier here than Vancouver, so, we'll see.

inkgrrl said...

Write on a regular schedule? Thehellyousay.

I'm doing NaNo this year so if you decide to go for it you wont' be alone in the frenzy.

Simone said...

Do it!!!

And send more info on the job!!

Ojibwe Confessions said...

Got to admire those that even try. I did once and never even got two pages. Never mind fifty.
It takes effort. Something I lack. But good for you and all the others.

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Yes! I sent you a bunch of emails to say sorry, cause I missed the ones you sent me. I got the fudge yesterday and it's half gone already. :-D

@Skye - I mentioned it in passing, but haven't put up the details yet. I'll dig that post out and put it up.

@Judie - Nano Queen, better than Dancing Queen.

@widders - No snow threats. I gather it doesn't snow much in Nanaimo, it's more about the rain. We'll see!

@inkgrrl - Yay! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it. If you want to "friend" me I'm under missmabel. Or maybe we can chat at JJJ's group, or at Storywonk.

@Simone - I wiiiillll...

@Steve - Thanks :-) Yeah, it almost kills some years. Ack!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}