QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stop the madness

Here's some of the captcha codes I encountered on a blog round last week. (Captcha stands for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. Incidentally rhymes with "gotcha!")

Seriously, these things make my monkey crazy. The ones on Blogger are the worst.

If you don't want to drive your frogs mental, you can either (a) turn on moderation so you have to check the comments before posting them, or (b) accept the Anonymous computer spam and delete it. If the commenter isn't signed in, and signs with the name "Anonymous", Blogger will send them to you to decide whether to post or not, and anything else will go through. I have an email filter so they go into one folder, and then I automatically delete them all.

Captcha codes are devil's spawn, yo.


















7 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I hate them, too. I recently took them off because I figure I'll just delete any unwanted comments.

Judie said...

I didn't even know mine was on until one of my frogs told me. I have since disabled it.

It's always such a guessing game and I feel bad that I was putting others through it.

Skye said...

The only comments that automatically go to spam are the Anonymous comments with links. My BFF uses Anonymous to leave comments and his go to the comments. And all the stuff in my spam filter is spam.

I hate captcha codes because, as you showed, you just cannot make it out. Doesn't prove I'm not a robot, that's for sure.

widdershins said...

I have gleaned some interesting character names from them, but that's the extent of my enthusiasm for them.

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - :-)

@Judie - You don't have to feel bad! :-D It's just funny. Those codes are so nutty.

@Skye - Oh you're right, yes. It's the link that tips it off.

@widders - My dad likes coming up with definitions for the weird words.

Julie said...

I have little to no feelings, nor opinions, about the codes (but gawd I DETEST when they do things like make those words sound like another, slang-y sort of word [captcha? as in capture?] which really is NOT a word at all). Blergh.

What I really wanted to say is that I LOVE New Girl too! Have we talked about this one? (At Kris's place maybe?) EVERYone of those characters are brilliant. As are the actors portraying them.

London Mabel said...

@Julie - Oooh another New Girl fan!! Yay! We have great taste! ;-)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}