QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Everyone is gay, and I am horrified by the blood gushing from my ears

I love the line "say something, I'm giving up on you" from "Say Something", so I watched the video. It's so emotionally manipulative it gives me the creeps.



Then I sampled Great Big World's album and it was horror piled on horror, crowned by their tribute to gay rights. This is a MUST WATCH. Because I don't want to be horrified alone.




In order of appearance, I disliked:
  • 1 Ordering people out of the closet.
  • 2 Is it implied that gay people can't procreate? I feel this is being implied.
  • 3 While I applaud the sentiment "we're all somewhere in the middle" it's rather contradicted by the binary opening.
  • 4 I don't get the line: "What if the world stopped spinning tomorrow, we all can't keep running away from who we are." 
  • 5 The shouted "well that's great!" in the second verse pushes this song firmly into the "Precious" category. (Keep in mind I own over 20 cat figurines.)
  • 6 Why is being "in-between" the best way to be, other than it seemed to fit the song?
  • 7 Everyone wants to kiss bisexual people?
  • 8 The "Awww" pushes this song into the "Grosser Than Precious" category.
  • 9 I've never liked the "we are all Palestinians" or "we are all Black" schtick. It presumes being able to understand an experience you'll never have. But the song is in support of a youth advice website of the same name, who asked them to write "the gayest song" for them. So they can have half a point back.
  • 10 The "Hooray!" at the end takes this song beyond "Grosser Than Precious" and into a category that dare not speak its name.

It's a song for children gone so, so wrong. And if it helps someone out there, well... that makes me sad. Artistically sad.

PS
Mind you, the warning signs for the Lifetime Acheesement-ness of this band were out there. Like that their first hit was used in the movie "New Years' Eve" which has a 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Or that they opened for Matthew Morrison. Or that the song they named themselves after (their own song) contains the lyric "there's a great big world and there's no need to cry." Or the album cover.





No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}