QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, June 12, 2015

Sometimes the sign you're looking for is literally a sign

So we're doing Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy now. It's been a few weeks and we're quite happy. EFT comes from a Canadian researcher and has the highest success rate at helping couples improve their relationships, and the effect lasts. (75% success rate I believe.) But our therapist also likes to draw on Brene Brown, because her vulnerability research fits in very well with EFT.

So one of the themes that keeps occurring is that, when responding to each other, our instinctive reaction is generally the safe one. The one meant to protect us. But it doesn't help you bond. You can instead choose to make yourself vulnerable, which is risky, but more successful.

With that in mind, here's my little story. I was at work a few days ago, sorting books, which sometimes means pulling off sticky notes and tabs. I pulled a heart shaped sticky note off a book, but wasn't near the garbage, so I stuck it to the side of my cart and went on with my work. I didn't read it.

The next day at work I thinking about this vulnerability stuff. Thinking about how to handle a personal situation, and thinking about the vulnerable option, knowing I should take it. And at the same time I was thinking about a coming job interview--I applied for a position where I'd be working in French all the time. And of course the interview would be all in French. I was wondering if I'd made a mistake in applying, cause there's no way they'll think my French good enough. But--I thought--it's probably not a mistake, cause I'm making myself vulnerable to looking like an idiot. I'm taking a chance. Right?

Then I looked up at my cart and saw the sticky note I'd stuck to the side:


3 comments:

BarbN said...

hmmmm, apparently your spammer found this post very useful to them. ;-)

Also I found it useful to me. Thanks. And good luck in the interview!

widdershins said...

All digits crossed for your interview :)

... When I saw what the sticker said, I immediately thought of the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of OZ and how he found courage from simply doing what needed to be done.

London Mabel said...

@BarbN Yes, apparently. Sadly I had now keeled him.

@widders Good thing I also have pals like the Lion had.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}