QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Songs by Jerks #3 - The (Supposed) Boss

Fire - Bruce Springsteen

Bruce always seems to get a pass on this one. I'll just say... he's lucky he wrote it in 1977, before the "no means no" slogan came about. And he's lucky the Pointer Sisters covered it, moving the perspective from a male one...

I'm pulling you close
You just say no
You say you don't like it
But I know you're a liar

To  a female one...

Late at night you're taking me home
You say you wanna stay
I say I wanna be alone
I say I don't love you
But you know I'm a liar

Look: Just as you can't rely on an erection or a girl being wet to tell you whether someone's actually turned on, you can't kiss them and think: "Ooh! Hot hot hot! She wants it!" The hotness might be all in your head.

It really is the rape-culture-iest song in history. There are no blurred lines here. She is saying no, and he knows she's lying. Oh buddy. The 70s were a different time alright.



___
 Was I being tongue in cheek with this series? Yes. But amIright? Yes. 

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}