QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, February 13, 2012

brief grammy roundup

I'm a bit out of it, so I'll just elaborate on the Grammy email I sent Ms. Brownlow. And add a video or two and call it a night.

While I'm happy for Adele's wins, I'm tired of these things where someone Sweeps the Grammies. It becomes so predictable, you know who's gonna win each award. And feels like lazy voting by the academy.

Maybe that's just sour grapes because Rolling in the Deep beat out Kanye's All of the Lights. Rolling's a good song, but Lights blew me away the first time I heard it.

I thought Katy Perry looked awkward doing that bad girl style, like it didn't sit naturally on her.

I loved Bruno Mars performance, my fave of the night. Not my fave song on the album, but great moves, great look. (He's the guy who co-wrote songs like "Wavin' Flag" and "Fuck You.")

And then of course I enjoyed my Nikki Minaj, except I was distracted by some family drama going on. My husband's sister had to put one of her beloved cats down--kitties she's been through a lot with.

I thought the script writing was the worst part of the whole night. Trying too hard to be clever.

There were some sweet moments. Adele at the end, but also Lady Antebellum when they said thankyou again for all their wins last year. And then Bon Iver who I'd never seen before. He was absolutely adorable in his stammering acceptance speech.

Here's Bon Iver's beautiful song "Woods"


He redid the song for Kanye West's "Lost in the World", one of my favorite songs from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (which won Best Rap album)


...which on the album is finished off with Gil Scot-Heron, who died in 2011.

    

5 comments:

Judie said...

I didn't get to see most of the Grammy's... past my bed time. Sad but true. I did see Bruno Mars and loved when he told them to get off their rich asses and party. Awesome.

widdershins said...

Didn't see it live but did catch a video of Jennifer Hudson singing Whitney's signature tune ... had a tear in my eye I did.

London Mabel said...

@Judie Yes! He was funny. When he was nominated and lost to Adele, in the little camera focused on him he was pretendng to throw a fit.

@widder Poor Whitney :-(

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I was working so I didn't see them.

You know, I don't like Katy Perry. Not pc but it's my truth. I think her songs are trite. Kissed a girl - big whoop. Song about Vegas - not new. Self-esteem boost song - done to death lately.

When RB married her, I thought, what the hell? The genuinely outrageous, egotistic and self-deprecating guy marries the girl who doesn't really know herself.

I know. I'm a bitch, huh?

Delete this if it offends you. I just had to say it somewhere.

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - lol! You're welcome to get your pop star opinions off your chest here! In any case she doesn't do it for me either.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}