QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, February 5, 2012

DYING! Prepare to do it

Written a month ago, but never posted...

I'm sitting here musing over my novel, which isn't as funny as I'd like it to be. So before I keep writing, I'm having some Thinks.

I was thinking about narration, because I might have some sort of clearly outside narrator, like The Brief Wondrous History of Oscar Wao. And then I remembered the greatest Omniscient Narrator in humor: The Princess Bride.


The first people I know who read the book were Swiss Girl, myself, and my brother. I think it was before the movie came out, but Swiss Girl might remember better. We all admitted that in the beginning we were taken in, thinking there really was an S Morgenstern whose book Goldman was abridging. But as you read the narrator speaking so disparagingly about his wife and son (I always remember "my son rolled into the room") you realize it's a joke. The narrator is a fictitious version of Goldman, and there's no S Morgenstern.

Years later friend Gilby and I used to hang at an all-night deli and regularly had a waitress whose favorite book was The Princess Bride. When she found out we worked for a book store she brought up the problem she'd been having of trying to get her hands on the original unabridged Princess Bride.


It fell to me to dash her dreams. From that time on we called her Buttercup, to make up for it.


Just now I was reading through the reviews on amazon and sure enough there are lots of people who hate the book because (a) all the narration bits are boring and ruin this beautiful tale and they wish they could find the original unabridged version; or (b) they're angry because they've discovered there's no unabridged version; or (c) they're angry at how misogynistic and mean spirited it is.

It's possibly one of the greatest literary hoaxes since the War of the Worlds radio broadcasts. And a good reminder of the comedic possibilities of narration. Maybe it's time for a re-read.

Also... the expression "The good parts version" is one of my absolute faves.

8 comments:

Skye said...

I haven't read the book yet but I didn't like the movie all that much. I basically disliked the character of Buttercup because she was such a passive non-entity, doing nothing to help herself, just waiting around. Stuff didn't make sense, like the prince marrying her just so he could kill her off, stuff like that. I did like the action bits and the funny dialogue.

So that's me. I'm an outlier on this one.

London Mabel said...

I think that because the original text was a satire on adventure stories, that's why B is a passive fool. She's a stereotypical princess. But that doesn't come across in the film, and is the part I never liked either. The best bits are really Inigo, Fessik, and The Sicilian!

robena grant said...

I haven't read the book. Have only seen bits of the movie as I've scrolled channels. Now you've got me in a Think. Maybe I should start at the beginning. Now there's a plan.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I liked the movie but not enough to look for the book. I think the whole narrator thing is fascinating but I'm sure I'm incapable of writing that way. I have trouble with narrative. I'm a dialog writer.

widdershins said...

Seen the movie ... a bit dubious about reading the book now ... will have to Thinks upon this ... to read or not to read, that is the question?

London Mabel said...

I'll find a couple passages to post... spare everyone yet another book in the tbr pile :-)

BarbN said...

Loved the book. It's a great example of an unreliable narrator. The whole thing is tongue in cheek-- which seems pretty clear, it's hard to believe someone wouldn't know that. But then, I'm the one who thought the preface to Prince of Tides was for real (years ago)--which is way more obvious, so who am I to talk.

I didn't like the movie either, having seen it only once. Then my daughter started hanging out with friends who knew it by heart, and they could carry on entire conversations with lines from the movie. Since then I've seen it another 4-5 times, and now I think it's hilarious. Like Monty Python and Napoleon Dynamite, I think it's one of those movies you have to see more than once to appreciate.

London Mabel said...

Oh phew, SOMEone has read the book!

I didn't know Prince of Tides had that, I've never read it. Interesting.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}