QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Exhale

I've been listening to 80s music this week, so just this morning I was listening to Whitney Houston and thinking, Damn, so sad what happened to her. So color me shocked when I got the news in my inbox about her death. I wasn't a supa fan, but her music punctuated enough points in my life that 'm sincerely sad she's gone.

I got into music in grade 6, and in grade 7 starting to buy a couple albums with my little allowance, and tape music off the radio (remember that?!), and slavishly watch Video Hits* when Whitney's first album came out. So I associate "You Give Good Love" and "Saving All My Love" and "How Will I Know?" with my budding musical years.



In grade 9 I experienced I big betrayal by my friends on the last day of exams, which took me the entire summer to get over. When I visited my mother that summer (she lived in another province) I slept in the room of one of her roommates and was allowed to listen to his tapes, and he had the second Whitney album. So I associate all those songs with slowly rebuilding my Inner Zip.



Fernando and I have never had "a song" but when I bought Whitney's Best Of album and heard "Your Love is My Love" for the first time, it was the first song that really captured how I felt about him. And always has. (Written, I must add, by one of my all-time fave artists Wyclef.)

If tomorrow is judgment day 
And I'm standing on the front line
And the Lord asks me what I did with my life
I will say I spent it with you





Finally, I've listened to "Exhale" consistently since it came out. It never gets old, and always means something different. I love this idea that there are times in life that we go through with clenched teeth, breath held in; but eventually, we exhale.



RIP Whitney

__________
* Canadian 1 hour video show. We didn't have cable, so no MTV.
   

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Echoing you - RIP Whitney.

Deborah Blake said...

Loved this.

And also, thanks for putting my book up in the guest spot!

*kisses*

Judie said...

Thanks for sharing some of the music that touched your life. I was shocked when I turned on the news this morning. RIP

Robena Grant said...

Ah, London...what a gorgeous tribute to an amazing and troubled lady. Such talent and creativity doesn't come without a price. Whitney's music has been a strong part of my life, romantic, and otherwise. I'm sending all healing vibes to her family and loved ones. Such a loss.

London Mabel said...

@deb - mouah!

@robena Something to keep in mind next time I'm feeling mediocre ;-)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}