QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Genre Haters: I hate 'em!

I recently read an article on NPR speculating on why people have such strong negative opinions about rap and opera (something that came out in an NPR survey.) When I was growing up country was the hated genre, and I disliked it too until bluegrass eased me in. Maybe because of that experience I decided to never dismiss an entire genre--I can find something to like in any kind of art form, from music to performance art. If you're into horoscopes then you'll see this as typical Gemini-ness. :-) I don't like one style of fashion or decor for myself either. Jack of all styles, master of none.

I don't think it's wrong for other people to dislike entire genres, but I find it... dare I say offensive? when people dismiss genres they've never even tried to understand or appreciate. Or if it's just not to their taste, so they write the entire genre off as garbage. Anyone who likes romance novels knows what I'm talking about. And it shocks me to hear some of the things people say about rap:
How about that the vast majority of rap pays no attention to meter, cadence, and the number of syllables each line ought to have? The lack of adherence to the rules of poetry are why it sounds so bad. Anyone can string random words together if they pay no attention to timing, rhythm, etc. There's a reason people say rappers have no talent: They don't.
The "no talent" comments bother me the most. Like people who say anyone could write a Harlequin romance. Really? Go ahead then. Write one and try to get it published. Rap is just stringing random words together? I'd be interested to hear the average person try to String Random Words Together and accidentally come out with clever metaphors, play on language, humor--oh and it rhymes too.

So I'm gonna dedicate some upcoming posts to Art Hater-ade. This has been bugging me for 20 years. Time to let some of the bugs out. For now, I leave you with Dave Chappelle's player haters, as they travel through time hating on people...
  

   
 

6 comments:

BarbN said...

Oh, that comment is just so racist I can hardly stand it. Just because it doesn't measure up to WHITE AngloAmerican standards of what poetry is means that it's not poetry? Well, aren't we just the bigoted arbiters of taste. Good grief. I'm not a huge fan of rap, but like you, I've been able to find certain songs and artists that I can connect with. I had the same experience with country music, btw-- I hated it growing up, but I've softened towards it over the years and now I have probably a dozen country songs on my iPod that I really love.

Kate George/Bodacious Betty said...

I want to travel through time and hate on people too. I think I'd be quite excellent at it. They could pay me I'd be so good.

widdershins said...

Perhaps the concept of this kind of hatred goes something like this:
1) lack of understanding of what the 'other' is.
2) lack of communication with the 'other'.
3) If I 'hate' something, (ie put it down) then my own feelings of self-worth, that I'm not comfortable with, will be raised.

... I like how our tastes in music, and all the arts shifts over time.

London Mabel said...

@ Barb You're right, there's a lot of racist attitudes hiding in those comments

@ Kate You just need to build a posse and you're ready!

@ widders You're mathematical equation seems sound

lora96 said...

Bravo!

I actually like some rap and I used to be snobby about fantasy/scifi because they were not my cup of tea but dh has gotten me to read several that are excellent. They may not be my preferred genre but great is great regardless of my taste.

Also those who show disrespect to rap bc it isn't traditional poetry--what about the beat poets? the allen ginsbergs who defied the meter and tradition and were brilliant? How boring it would be if everyone CONFORMED!

London Mabel said...

@ a-men

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}