QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

From New York

One of the books I'm reading right now is the extremely charming 84 Charing Cross Road. It's a true story, a series of letters between a New York writer (Helene Hanff) and the employees of a London second hand book shop, from whom she orders books.

The style of Hanff's writing reminds me of Ms. Brownlow. And as Ms. Brownlow is in New York, and I used to be a bookseller, and we love books, it's all very fitting.

 Above is the edition I have--good thing I'm reading a second hand copy, which feels right. I almost ordered the second book, where Hanff goes to London, but it's a good thing I didn't--it's included in this volume. Do you see any indication of that? Neither do I. I only found out when looking at the rights page, and had to flip through the volume to find where it starts.



Now I know to get Anne Bancroft when we make a movie of Ms. Brownlow's life.
        

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Sounds like a good book. Think I'll check for it at the library. I like books that are written as letters.
The book S by John Updike is a book that's a series of the funniest letters I've ever read.

Judie said...

Sounds like a fun read.

widdershins said...

You do know that our Annie died back in 05, yes? ... getting her to come out of retirement might be a little tricky.

Robena Grant said...

sounds like it's right up my alley. I'm definitely going to check into it.

London Mabel said...

JJJ - Will have to take a look at the Updike

widder - I didn't say it would be easy!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}