QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Children's Book Week!

I had never heard of National Children's Book Week. At my old book store job it was never celebrated! I think that's a shame. Some of my best childhood memories are of trips to the library.

Children's Book Week just passed here in Canada.

Here's some of the wild and wonderful posters from previous years (US and Canada mostly.) Some are really beautiful.











I noticed you don't start getting children of color in the posters until the 1960s--though not even always then.



















6 comments:

Simone said...

I agree! I LOVED LOVED LOVED my books as a kid! They were just as good as toys - and going to the library was an EVENT! the smell of the pages, and the sounds the books made as they crackled open... good times.

Skye said...

During the summers, our neighbor/babysitter would take her 2 kids, my brother, and me on our bikes to the library every 2 weeks. The others would take out 1 or 2 books and have plenty of room in their baskets. I'd take out the limit of 25 and have to pile mine in my basket and theirs to get everything to fit, and I was still finished before the 2 weeks was up!

Judie said...

These are awesome posters.

widdershins said...

What a wonderful collection! The 1970 one is so full of detail ... it's my favourite.

For so many of us books probably saved our sanity and even our lives.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I can't even imagine my childhood without books. Or my adulthood.
Great posters.

London Mabel said...

@Simone - I know! The smells and everything. To this day, setting foot in a library, I feel at home. Soothed.

@Skye - Weren't those great days! Makes me wonder how much those books changed and informed us and made us who we are.

@Judie - glad you enjoyed!

@widders - 1970 is my fave too

@JJJ - I KNOW. Let's not think about it.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}