QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Opération Quest: Experimenting with living in the future

In April I wrote about Martha Beck's advice that we can work on living today as though the outcome we desire has already happened. I later posted her guided meditation, as meditating is one way to develop this skill. I now have an example to give of how I tried this out in my life, and why I think it was beneficial.

Last week my mother and I took her oldy cat Purdy to the vet because we thought she had rotten teeth. But preliminary blood tests showed she had late stage kidney disease, so we chose to put her down.

Before we knew about the kidney disease I practiced envisioning Purdy as tooth-healed, no longer in pain, happy and calm and eating easily. Envisioning a happy healthy outcome didn't stop Purdy from dying; but I would hazard to guess that being calm and happy around her made her last days calmer and happier than if I'd fretted and worried. We all pick up on non-verbal cues, after all. I would have been putting out vibes that said "There's something very wrong!!"

To be clear, I see a difference between empty fantasizing, and inhabiting the emotions. This is about conjuring how it would feel if we were at our ideal weight, or if we had our ideal job, or if we were published authors. For example, today I was weeding my mother's yard and the deeper I got into it, the more work I realized there was. So I said to myself: How would I feel if it were already done? Well, not discouraged or overwhelmed, right?

This technique seems to help in two ways: First, to reach our goals...

  • I'm more likely to exercise because I already love my body and want to care for it;
  • I exude confidence at an interview because I already believe I'm successful and valued;
  • I hammer out my daily word count cause I know I'm talented, I'm a great writer, and writers write;
  • I keep weeding instead of throwing in the trowel and heading indoors to watch Buffy reruns.
Every day we get to write on our brain, participate in who we'll be in one year. If you spend the year focusing on how your body is a disappointment, limited, ugly, blobby, or whatever, what effect will that have on your brain? Seems healthier to write onto our brains the things we think we'd be if we were in shape: strong, powerful, beautiful.

But there's a second effect of thinking this way: It makes our present happier. So that no matter what the outcome is, life will have still been emotionally satisying.

RIP little Purdy-girl

"I see the rainbow bridge! Ooh it really is rainbow colored."

 

7 comments:

gmc said...

That seems like a very helpful way to meditate. The recent zeFrank vid reminded me of that 1/2 second gap that is measurable, between when our minds decide something, and we become aware of our own choices... I've always thought that this is akin to that 1/2 second between when we accidentally grasp a hot pot handle and think, "Crap, this is going to hurt!" And when we actually feel the pain...

That mysterious 1/2 second gap seems to be related to our power over our own minds... Our ability to choose and not just react. No?...

Judie said...

RIP Purdy-girl.
Always a hard decision and I admire those who are brave enough to consider what the animal is going through.

I like your meditations and need to practice them.

You are kicking major bootie in Chocolate Boot Camp and all without the sprints. Impressive!!
Congratulations

widdershins said...

What is it with getting a cats teeth checked and kidney disease?
I had the same experience quite a few years ago now, with a wonderful bundle of fluff named 'Smooch - cos he was', and had to make that same horrible decision too.

So sorry to hear about your Purdy-girl :(

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Ah what a sweet kitty. Sorry she's gone. Hopefully all her nine lives were happy.
Sounds like you're making good use if your new way of thinking. I know there's some pitfalls there but I don't see you falling in them.

Robena Grant said...

So sorry to hear about Purdy. Those are always difficult decisions to make, but very necessary. Glad you are doing meditations, and I like your positive thinking.

Kris said...

Sorry about Purdy girl.
I really like this idea and am going to start employing it this weekend. Instead of stressing out about the test I have to sit on Sunday I am going to imagine how i'd feel if i'd already sat the test and aced it with top marks :-)

London Mabel said...

@GMC - There's certainly some feeling that our brains are more malleable and in our hands than once thought!

@Judie - Thanks thanks and thanks! I'm glad your Chester isn't at that point though!

@widders -Awww Smooch! Maybe it's because those mouth sores look like bad teeth? So sad.

@JJJ - Appreciate your *approval* - I know you are a worldly and experienced woman!

@Robena - Thanks :-)

@Kris - I hope you'll ace it! Or at least feel not super stressed in the meantime, lol.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}