QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The lost co-authored novel of Austen and Heyer!

I haven't written yet tonight! Because I was reading my book and hit that unputdownable mark. I have to highly recommend this book, if you're a fan of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. It's as though they discovered notes to an unwritten Austen novel, and gave them to Heyer to write. In other words, like the author's own style and not a knock off Austen imitation. (Like that horrid horrid hilariously bad Austen novel by Colleen McCullough. Be sure to read my review of that one!)

It's called Indiscretion by Jude Morgan. (Yes--a man!) About a down on her luck woman who takes a post as a lady's companion, and then bla bla bla scandal romance witty banter. I don't want to say more and spoiler it. But really, if you've read all of Austen's books and you're all "Why why aren't their more?" then give this one a try.

Here are some of my favorite lines--they're not spoilers.

It is plainly Mrs Catling's pleasure to pin her acquaintances like so many butterflies, and there is nothing to be gained by wriggling.

"And now over there is a gentleman who should not wear tight pantaloons. You will see when he turns around. There. That is why."

"...soon dinner will run into bed-time, and we shall all eat reclining like the ancient Romans--about whose digestion, you know, I have often wondered. Whether a dose of rhubabrb might have made a difference to Nero or Caligula is a question you might ponder, my dear, next time you go through your Tacitus."

I must try to be charitable, Caroline thought: probably she doesn't mean to sound as if she is continually translating from Latin.

"Very well." Matthew gave her such a hurt, wistful, nobly forbearing, and absolutely infuriating look that if Caroline had been a rich aunt she would have cut him out of her will on the spot.

He peered gloomily into a folio of maps. "I always think Brazil is too big."

"We are always parting! It's supposed to be sweet sorrow or something, isn't it? Those poets. They'll say anything."

"I found out when I went away from Wythorpe the first time in November--remember? How nice it is to rhyme, I must do it all the time."

"I have been run over by the speeding chariot of fate, caught up in its spiked wheels." - "I hate it when that happens," said Stephen.

 

9 comments:

Brussel Sprout said...

I loved it, and now you've got An Accomplished Woman and A Little Folly to read too. I love Jude Morgan.

Brussel Sprout said...

I loved it, and now you've got An Accomplished Woman and A Little Folly to read too. I love Jude Morgan.

Judie said...

Another author to put on my list. Ahahah it is getting to be a very long list. I love it.

widdershins said...

I was wondering how I missed that wonderful smackdown of Colleen's hideous book ... then I saw the date on the post. It was before we met. Understandable that I missed it then.

London Mabel said...

@Sprout - A fellow fan! Yay! I definitely want to read those other two.

@Judie - I know, it's terrible right?

@widders - That's why I linked to it. Man that was one crazy book.

robena grant said...

Haven't read Jude Morgan. Will give Indiscretion a try. : )

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I'll have to try it. The quotes pull me in.
I know what you mean about the writing. I'm in such a place with my current Marian Keyes, too. I had to force myself to put it down so I'd have a word count today.

Maggie said...

Ah! I am full of excitement!

London Mabel said...

The excitement--she is full!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}