QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The English Patient: The heart is an organ of fire


Goodness gracious me, I have such a line-up of fun books waiting for me! But for the moment--I just finished Michael Ondaatje's The English Patient.


The movie was out when I first started working in a bookstore, and was finishing up my English lit degree. Women were buying the book in droves, but having read Ondaatje in school I understood when some were disappointed with it. It's postmodern, and those structures are often fragmented, to reflect the idea that we can't ever fully know anything, to reflect the way we actually take in information and see the world.


Plus Odaatje started as a poet, so his writing can be oscure. I often stopped and re-read lines, trying to understand--which is fine with mod/postmodernists, cause they want you to be aware of the act of reading.

But I loved the book, was totally engrossed in it. If you haven't seen or read it, it's about the end of WWII in Italy, and a Canadian nurse taking care of a totally burned man, in a villa. They're joined by a man who used to be a thief and was employed as a spy in the war. And a Sikh "sapper"--a soldier who defuses bombs. I loved all four.





I liked it more than the movie, cause there was less melodrama; but I understand most of Minghella's choices. And he certainly made it more commercial, with a heavy focus on the back story love affair.


The one important change was how they parted at the end. [Mild spoiler:] In the book the sapper, who has endangered his life spending every nerve-wracking moment of the war defusing bombs, making the countryside safe for Europeans, is completely undone by the bombing of Hiroshima. It causes an insurmountable rift between him and his companions, and he leaves. Probably a good example of why we need published authors who are people of color; because they know better than white people how race matters, and write about difference in a more emotionally true fashion.

Another thing missing from the movie was our discovery of the reason why the nurse is so attached to the burned patient.* I totally wept. (It didn't help that an orchestral version of "Unchained Melody" was playing while I read.)

Judging by Goodreads this is a love it or hate it book, so I can't lightly recommend it. But I loved it.


_____
* SPOILER

We knew her father was killed in the war, but find out he was burned; he had to be left behind by his unit and, as far as she knows, died alone.

4 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Wow. That sounds like the kind of book that I will avoid because it's too heavy. Then one day there will be a reason why I read it and love it.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Robena Grant said...

I did see the movie, but never read the book. Now I want to do so. I'll wait until edits are completed and give myself the reward of a lazy weekend. : )

Wendy said...

I read The English Patient years ago, not long after the film came out. I loved it... and I also had to stop and re-read lines to understand them, but also for the pure poetry and lyricism in them. Ohh if you love words, it's a beautiful book! I must re-read it (though I must first buy myself another copy as I lent it to someone and never got it back...grrr).

inkgrrl said...

I saw the movie and loved it, but now I absolutely have to read the book. Thank you!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}